Thread: Diawa reels ?

Cool Diawa reels ?

Whats the difference between the CT reel and the SV reel other than price. Thanks for your help

2. Member
    If you are talking tatulas the difference is the spool .. the small spool is for casting light weight baits
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

3. Member
    CT Type R and CT SV overview

CT Type R against CT SV casting plug

The videos nailed it spot on. The Type R is a much more free casting reel than the SV.

5. Member
    Well i'll be darn

6. Member
    I'm late outta' the barn here, but WOW!

Great test there.

I'd like to know a bit more though. Especially as we've not done the spool setting like you mentioned. We're old and stubborn, so we do it to where we manage the 'drop' depending on the weight of the lure. Figured slow and steady drop was what'd work, but seeing the video it looks like we got some learning do Lucy.

Anywho.....

1: What line?
    2: Wind speed (you mentioned changing to have it at your back).
    3: Thumbing the reel, or not? (asked that because the SV is supposed to not backlash even without thumbing it, the Zillion even more so)
    4: Weight of the reels compared.

Asking because...

1: I have 3 Type R's. But have only fished with them once, so really don't have the feel down for them yet.
    2: My wife still doesn't like using a baitcaster, but she said she'd *try* an Zillion SV.
    3: Have you (or would you) do a similar test on the Tatula SV vs the Zillion?
    4: SV or Zillion all things considered? I know this one is subjective, but lets say you are putting one in the hands of someone that's not that good at a baitcaster. (see #2 wife reference above)

Thanks Quake, and everyone else for that matter!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

I haven't watched the videos, but I have fished both reels extensively, on the water, you know, fishing with real baits and what not. With regard to which reel can cast the furthest, the Type R wins in my experience. In terms of ease of control, lack of backlash under a wide range of on the water circumstances, and skipping a bait, the Tatula SV is head and shoulders above the Tatula CT R. If I wanted a reel to wing a deep crank or lipless crank as far as I could throw it, the Type R would be a consideration. If I was tossing a spinner bait, chatter bait, skipping a jig or plastic, pitching in general, the Tatula SV would be my choice...

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I don't have a whole lot of seat time with a Zillion SV TW but it is a lighter and more refined reel than a Tatula SV TW and that is reflected in the price. Set the spool properly and its hard to backlash either one. No thumb required. Spend the extra money and get the good people of the Tackle Trap to send your wife a Zillion SV TW. Worst case is she doesn't like it and you get it.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Thanks BoatBuggy! I certainly agree that the Zillion SV TW is more refined, tighter tolerances, smoother overall, and more free on the cast than the Tatula SV TW - which is a fantastic reel by the way. The free floating G1 Duralumin spool makes a significant difference all by itself. I'm really glad Daiwa was able to bring SV technology to a sub $200 Tatula model, but the upper end models certainly do have more to offer other than a simply a higher entry fee. Some guys get it and appreciate it, some guys don't, and that's perfectly fine.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    I haven't watched the videos, but I have fished both reels extensively, on the water, you know, fishing with real baits and what not. With regard to which reel can cast the furthest, the Type R wins in my experience. In terms of ease of control, lack of backlash under a wide range of on the water circumstances, and skipping a bait, the Tatula SV is head and shoulders above the Tatula CT R. If I wanted a reel to wing a deep crank or lipless crank as far as I could throw it, the Type R would be a consideration. If I was tossing a spinner bait, chatter bait, skipping a jig or plastic, pitching in general, the Tatula SV would be my choice...

That says it all!

Only problem I have is I prefer 'lefty' reels. Where she does right.

Funny thing how they classify reels that way. You'd think if you were right handed, then you CAST with your right hand, and wind with your left.
    Then just the opposite for lefty's, cast with the left, and wind with the right. After all, if you throw a ball right handed.... why wouldn't you cast right handed?

So.... I've learned to cast right handed, wind left.
    And prefer not to change hands to wind... go figure.

Reckon I can buy one (or two) either handed and she'd use it. As it is, she casts right handed, then moves it to her left hand to wind. Even have to setup her spinning reels that way!

Changing hands however, Hmmmmmmm it's not like most of the pros out there don't do exactly the same thing.

BTW, I throw a ball right handed, and bat right handed (at least 50 years ago I did). Eat, write, and handle a knife left handed.

Dang it, I was hoping to not have to drop $$$ on new reels AND a Hydrowave this spring!

Anywho, thanks again for that response, that's exactly what I was looking for.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave