Sportsman 19 Speed with 150 Yamaha

Hello I'm new to the forum . I currently have a 2006 Eagle 175 with a 90 2 stroke Yamaha , thinking serious about upgrading to a Sportsman 19 with a 150 . I have been told by several people that the speed is right around 50mph gps with this setup , I was assuming it should be closer to the 60mph range ? Heck I can run 43-44 with gps with my 90 horse . Would appreciate any input from Sportsman 19 owners with a 150 just to see what speed people are getting . Thx very much .

2. Not Banned
    I don't have mine broken in yet and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go from a 19P to a 21P prop. I've seen 50 in short runs in the river. I imagine 54-55 is tops when it's propped right. That's a lot of boat to get to 60. If you run the SHO motor and do some work on props and jackplates then you may see 60ish. I'm not sure what G3 says about a jackplate on these boats. You have to remember these are mod v boats and not padded hull boats. You won't get the speed out of them like a pad. It's not worth the extra money to me to see 5mph in gains.

I'm only 2 1/2 - 3 hours into break-in on a F150 motor. I didn't buy the SHO.

They are also doing a $1500 rebate right now and $1000 rebate on top for military service. Good time to buy.

3. Member
    Thanks for your info , if you don't mind please post when you are through with break in period .

I wish G3 wouldn't have quit with the HP models , I have a friend with a HP with a Yamaha 150 2 stroke and it will run 63-64 gps without a jackplate .

I'm probably gonna look at the Ranger Rt198P before I make a decision . My boat still runs fine ,so not in a real big hurry . But would like to upgrade to a little bigger boat with a 4 stroke Yamaha . And like you I will probably opt for the F150 as well . Hear nothing but good news about them especially fuel economy when just cruising .

I have a jackplate on my Eagle 175 but put I on after having boat several years . Don't know if they will warranty a new G3 with a plate . I know you can get a Range 198 P with a plate . That's going to be a factor in my decision as well .

Thanks again SilverFox .

4. Not Banned
    I looked at the Ranger but it's essentially the same size as the 188 boat they make with modified transom and a padded hull. Looks to be identical but check for yourself. They also have very little room in the cockpit area. I didn't fit at 6'4 290. I don't know about the 198P but there's a lot of talk about what you can and can't do to the transom of the Ranger. My dealer said they would do what I wanted but it would have to come off before the boat went to Ranger if there was a problem... poles/jackplate.

In the end I felt like the G3 was better built. The transom area is really beefy. I did put a power pole on the boat with the bracket that goes behind the motor.

5. Member
    Hey I'm curious , did your boat come with a Bear trailer ? If so , how many bunk boards does it have ? My 2006 trailer has 4 bunk boards which I prefer but a lot of online photos of sportsman19 boats I see I've noticed that the trailers only have 2 bunk boards . I feel with the weight of the boat plus a 480lb outboard that you need 4 boards . I know that's one thing I'm going to demand with whatever brand boat I decide to purchase .

Also I'm interested to know if G3 has upgraded to 6 gauge wiring for trolling motor , my 2006 Eagle 175 came with 8 gauge which I changed out with 6 gauge and a heavy duty breaker . My 82 pound motorguide kept tripping the factory beaker if I run on higher speeds for very long . And I do that a lot here fishing in the rivers I southeast Ga .

6. Not Banned
    It's a bear and 4 bunk. I haven't checked the wiring on the TM. There is a 50amp breaker on the battery end. I'm out if state or I'd go look for you.

7. Member
    I guess not many people running this boat or either just not posting on here ?

8. Not Banned
    As far as I know, I'm the only one running the boat here. The G3 19DLX is pretty much the same boat with a different deck design from what I gather. I did a lot of looking for info on that boat also before I purchased. There's not much out there about it either that I could find. Everything I've seen has been positive. If you go sit in one of these and compare them to a Ranger or Triton, you'll see right away that the G3 is a lot more comfortable. The 17, 18, and 19 boats have the same console room and it dwarfs the others. I'm 6'4 and I can't reach the kick panel under the steering wheel with my feet. You could hide under there if you had to. The compartments on front of the 19 are BIG, really BIG. The concerns I had were rod storage size and the smaller compartments on the back. I took the rod holders out and without a doubt you can fit 15 rods in there but would need to use sleeves... and it would be better with lure wraps. I'd imagine 20-25 would fit but haven't tried. I haven't loaded my boat yet but i did stick 12-15 rods in it to see how it looked. I put a 7'11 in there without any problems. Deck space for rods is great too. The transom area is laid out well and beefy. My power pole pump is mounted to the floor and there's still room for another one in there. I do believe the TM wire is 8 still. I know there's a 50 amp breaker on it. If you want 6, your dealer would install it for you.

9. Not Banned
    By the way, if you're not going over 70 on your trolling motor, which is what I have, Minn Kota recommends 8 gauge for a 20' run.

10. Member
    I have a 19DLX (similar) with a hydraulic jackplate - just using stock prop (since I have no idea which other ones to try - not much information and not going to waste my money buying props that don't do any better), but I think I've hit 55 gps with a light load. Tourney load 52-53 seems to be best. And i have the SHO

11. Not Banned
    I've read the SHO performs well with a 21P but I don't remember which 21P. What is your stock prop?

12. Member
    I'll check and see Silver - thanks for letting me know

13. Member
    SilverFox I just thought about another question for you concerning your sportsman 19. On my eagle 175 2006 model , width of boat is much more narrow . I have room for 2 tm batteries and a starting battery , wondering with the width so much wider do you think there would possibly be room for another tm battery . Thinking seriously of going with a 36 volt trolling motor if I do purchase again . All I do down here I river fish down here in Ga , and a lot of days wish I had a 36 volt fishing in this fast running water , but with this boat there is no room for another battery . Thx

14. Not Banned
    I would think you could if you turned them long ways to run with the boat. I have 2 of the 27s running sideways and a 24 starting long ways with my power pole pump beside it. You'd have to measure it to be sure. There is also a fuel water separator back there but it's center mounted on the transom. I can't say 100% for sure since the way the transom leans I'd have to pull the battery to measure it exactly. If you look at them at the dealer you can measure without all the stuff in the way.

15. Member
    Ok thanks a lot . I looked a couple months back at a Sportsman 17 , which is probably the same as yours in the back . But I left without checking on a million things that were on my list .... Have you run yours enough to get broken in yet ?

16. Member
    You know I've heard a lot of good things about the Ranger and Xpress boats , but my problem is I'm about 125 miles to either of those dealers versus 25 miles to a G3 dealer . I kinda hate to be going that far away buying something new ....

17. Not Banned
    No. I've been extremely lazy this last month. I still haven't installed any electronics... I've had the units sitting in my man cave for over a month now. I'm going to try and get it installed this week. May start tomorrow... May not! LOL.

18. Not Banned
    Well.... I'm 15 minutes from the Ranger Dealer who I've bought 2 boats from and an hour away from the G3 dealer. I looked at the Xpress boats but didn't like them as well. I priced out a X19. In my opinion the G3 dollar for dollar was the best boat for me. The Ranger was the least favorite of all I looked at... mostly due to cockpit size and design.

The fuel tank is 21-22 gallons and that was a worry for me but I don't know why. I've never run 20 gallons a day out of my Skeeter except when I followed the Elites around taking pictures. The G3 live well is 33 gallons and should hold any five fish limit I ever catch and then some. It has recirculation standard and pump out. The boat has auto bilge. The biggest downside for me was the rod box size but when I pulled the holders out and started sticking rods in there it's a lot bigger than I first thought.

We are still in the honeymoon period right now but so far so good.

19. Member
    I have a 2015 Talon eagle 19 DLX with the 150 Yamaha. I have spoke with silver fox as I am only seeing 45mph, but between extreme cold, honeymoon and stuff around the house I haven't begun to look into my lack of speed issue. The boat fishes great on the upper bay which is tidal water and can get rough when the wind gets up.I have the fortrex 80 and don’t think I have ever had to kick it up past 60 to get where I want to go even in a strong wind and the tide. The back where the fuel tank and 3 27 AGM betteries are is a bit crowded. Like silverfox I was concerned about the 23 gallon tank, but on my best day I maybe burned 14 gallons.

I have owned the boat since July and I love it. Sorry for the delay.

20. Not Banned
    I still haven't touched the boat. There was no school Monday for MLK day. Then Tuesday we got snow. These hills and snow/ice don't work well so there has been no school yet this week. By the time I hang out with the 4 year old son all day I haven't felt like messing with the boat at night. Maybe if he goes back to school tomorrow I can get some bolts and start mounting the electronics on it. Would like to take it out this weekend some time to get some more hours on it.

It was 4 degrees Wednesday morning and 8 degrees this morning so what melts during the day with the sun goes back ice at night. Today is supposed to be around 37 but 20 again tonight. They may call off school again tomorrow. The people on side streets are catching it.