Question connecting a trolling motor to my engine alternator

I have a 1995 60 HP mercury engine. I have recently purchased a Xi5 pinpoint trolling motor. I use the anchoring mode quite a bit with my Lowrance HDS 7 gen 3 fish finder. It uses nearly all of my battery AH for a whole day.
    I don't know the max output of the alternator (does anyone know?).
    Am I taking a chance of damage to
    my engine alternator (it now charges only my engine start battery) if I also
    connect to it to trolling battery? Would I be better off getting another battery & parallel them. I am thinking about getting a solar panel to charge them as I may not have access to power. Thanks in advance for any help

2. Member
    Although it will probably work, at least for a while. It is not a good idea and will mostly likely result in overheating of the charging system with eventual failure. I would find another solution and not risk the damage.
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

This will work better and safer. It charges your TM batteries when the big motor is running and if at the end of the day your start battery is weak, it will draw from the TM batteries to start the motor.

http://www.yandina.com/index.htm
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ikew View Post
    I have a 1995 60 HP mercury engine. I have recently purchased a Xi5 pinpoint trolling motor. I use the anchoring mode quite a bit with my Lowrance HDS 7 gen 3 fish finder. It uses nearly all of my battery AH for a whole day.
    I don't know the max output of the alternator (does anyone know?).
    Am I taking a chance of damage to
    my engine alternator (it now charges only my engine start battery) if I also
    connect to it to trolling battery? Would I be better off getting another battery & parallel them. I am thinking about getting a solar panel to charge them as I may not have access to power. Thanks in advance for any help
    Your battery/batteries are no good.
    Thousands of boats out there running that trolling motor, and others draining as much or more power, and don't run out of battery power.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You aren’t going to get blood out of a turnip.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    With that motor, you won't have an alternator. You will have a stator. This is what supplies the 12 volts to run the engine and some additional power to charge batteries. The more batteries you try to charge, the less charge each battery would receive. The stator for a particular motor will only put out a certain number of amps. You can research how much your stator puts out by your motor manufacturer and serial number. Trying to charge too many batteries without the use of an onboard "charge-on-the -run" charger may well damage the stator. They are costly to replace. Try contacting some of the marine charger companies. They will most likely give you some options to keep your batteries charged while on the water. I'm sure that there are a number of BBC users that have used chargers for sale if you wanted to go that route.

XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Jim View Post
    With that motor, you won't have an alternator. You will have a stator. This is what supplies the 12 volts to run the engine and some additional power to charge batteries. The more batteries you try to charge, the less charge each battery would receive. The stator for a particular motor will only put out a certain number of amps. You can research how much your stator puts out by your motor manufacturer and serial number. Trying to charge too many batteries without the use of an onboard "charge-on-the -run" charger may well damage the stator. They are costly to replace. Try contacting some of the marine charger companies. They will most likely give you some options to keep your batteries charged while on the water. I'm sure that there are a number of BBC users that have used chargers for sale if you wanted to go that route.
    The charge-on-the-run charger still gets its power from the outboard, so its no different than directly connecting to the motor. Mercury recommends against any setup that has more than a single standard cranking battery being charged by the outboard because of issues with overheating regulators due to long charge times.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Your battery/batteries are no good.
    Thousands of boats out there running that trolling motor, and others draining as much or more power, and don't run out of battery power.
    I'll stick with this ^^^ with a fair amount of certainty.

10. Member
    I may well be incorrect, as I'm not a marine mechanic. I do know that onboard chargers are used to charge more than one battery, one of them(only one) should be the starting battery.