Turkey hunters...how many will make the switch to Tungsten Super Shot?

With Apex, Nitro, and Federal offering factory TSS loads this spring, how many will make the switch?
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

I'm not turkey load poor... Federal premium 5s and 6s have served me well over the years.. No need to change...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    I'm not turkey load poor... Federal premium 5s and 6s have served me well over the years.. No need to change...
    Same here.

4. Member
    Pretty much crossbow only now.
    2016 Lowe FS 1710
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 115

Winchester Gray box #4 3" is what my 870 digests the best. The cheapest turkey loads out there.

6. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    I've been shooting Hevi13 #6 for years other that price nothing to not like, they hit like a brick. I'm not going to say I won't try them when my supply runs low I've got few years worth of Hevi13#6 stock piled.

My federal 3 and 1/2 inch magnum 2 1/4 ounce copper plated lead number fours destroy turkeys. No need to switch.
    Ranger Forever

8. Member
    I have been using Federal Heavyweight Turkey Load for the past few years. They are expensive, but have lots of penetration power. I pattern tested the Heavyweight shells vs. lead shells, using a steel frame target holder. The lead pellets just made gray marks on the steel, whereas the Heavyweight pellets made indentations in the steel. That convinced me of the penetration power of the hard Heavyweight pellets.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

Quote Originally Posted by TableRock Coral View Post
    I have been using Federal Heavyweight Turkey Load for the past few years. They are expensive, but have lots of penetration power. I pattern tested the Heavyweight shells vs. lead shells, using a steel frame target holder. The lead pellets just made gray marks on the steel, whereas the Heavyweight pellets made indentations in the steel. That convinced me of the penetration power of the hard Heavyweight pellets.
    FYI...Federal is discontinuing the heavyweight line of shells with the release of TSS, so if you enjoy the Heavyweight shells, buy them while you can.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Quote Originally Posted by barkleyhawggitter View Post
    My federal 3 and 1/2 inch magnum 2 1/4 ounce copper plated lead number fours destroy turkeys. No need to switch.
    Destroys shoulders too LOL
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Member
    Haven't seen anything to compete with Winchester Longbeard XR's.

But to the topic, I think in the next few years there will be a major shift away from Lead projectiles, in all firearms, Handgun, rifle, shotgun. Its coming whether we like it or not, the writing is on the wall.