Talons with jackplate

I currently have the sandwich brackets between my motor and the transom. I’m going to be adding a manual jackplate. Is it better to put the brackets between the jackplate and transom or between the jackplate and the motor?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cstamets View Post
    I currently have the sandwich brackets between my motor and the transom. I’m going to be adding a manual jackplate. Is it better to put the brackets between the jackplate and transom or between the jackplate and the motor?
    Hi, Best application will be between motor and jack plate....

3. BBC SPONSOR
    I know you will already have the bracket but I suggest purchasing a new bracket and mounting it directly to the jackplate. just my .02. but as stated above you are good to go with what MooDeals says as well.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    thanks

5. Member
    I don’t know what kind of boat you have but I highly recommend you put them between the transom and the jackplate. Talons and the brackets are like giant paddles. You want them as close to your transom as possible so when you come out of the hole they are out of the water as soon as possible. The further they are back the easier they’ll catch water specifically in turns and during whole shot.
    Dan Mitchell
    2011 Stratos Champion Elite 202
    2021 Mercury Pro XS 225

6. Member
    Haha well there you go. Three different answers above for your choosing. Didn't really help you did it. I have mine mounted side of jackplate.
    2016 Legend V20 DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    SN #2B124385 Model #1251P73BD.
    12" Bobs hydraulic JP
    68 gps, tourney loaded, full gear, full tank.
    Croxton worked 3 blade 24P fury, 0 plugs.
    Seastar Teleflex Pro Hydraulic steering.
    (2) BT 10' white Talons.
    Merc monitor.
    MK Ultrex 112lb 36v TM.
    Dual Lowrance HDS 9 touch gen3 at console.
    Single Lowrance HDS 12 touch gen3 at bow.
    LSS2 transducer

7. Member
    I would keep them next to the transom.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HANSHIN View Post
    I don’t know what kind of boat you have but I highly recommend you put them between the transom and the jackplate. Talons and the brackets are like giant paddles. You want them as close to your transom as possible so when you come out of the hole they are out of the water as soon as possible. The further they are back the easier they’ll catch water specifically in turns and during whole shot.
    +1 also if you have a Mercury engine for some reason Mercury voids engine warranty if engine is attached to anything other than transom or jackplate. I know this is crazy.

9. Member
    Sell the sandwich and get a jackplate mount. If you don’t want to do that, I’d mount between transom and jackplate.

10. Member
    Sounds like the best option is to keep against the transom. Thanks for all the opinions

11. Member
    Depends on the boat you have on some of the older Nitro's and ProCrafts will not work with jack plate mounts. I have a 2005 192 Super Pro and could not use jack plate mounts.