Metalflake repair without Professional Tools.

Check out our latest repair video on how to do Fiberglass Repair with Metalflake without having to use or own Professional tools!

2. BBC SPONSOR
    great video. Please show the rest of the job and how you get rid of the obvious lines where you masked off to blow on the metal flake. I have a similar sized defect on my boat and would really like to do the repair myself.

3. Member
    Thanks Justin,very informative.

4. Member

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

5. Member
    First thanks very much for sharing this information and taking the time to accomplish the videos you do. Just couple of questions if possible. How many Prevals did you use for this project? How much time between coats of the clear did you wait before spraying the subsequent coats. Do you clean your preval or are they throw away with each coat

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

I used one pre-vail for the entire job, waited roughly 10-15 minutes per coat, no cleaning required between coats, threw it away when done. Lines were there, because of the difference in height of the flake having clear vs the original clear, once all three layers of clear where on and hardened, you can wetsand it and you won't see the lines after you wetsand and polish it out.

As always, very informative videos Justin! Thanks for sharing.

8. Member
    Justin, thanks for taking the time to make the videos, upload on youtube and sharing how to repairs for fellow BBC members saving them money.
    Anything we can do to keep our boats looking good is always appreciated.

9. Member
    That video will help a lot of people. I have a small spot to do.

Thanks for making this video . It's always better to watch a professional one than not.
    1995 CHAMPION 171 DC

11. Member
    I will take as many videos like that as you are willing to give us! Absolutely awesome knowledge to have! Thanks so much for taking the time to do that!

12. Member
    When I knocked 4 feet off the back top cap of my Stratos I did a similar but much more "brutal" repair with automotive clear coat and shook the metalflake into it. It looks good from a distance and if I decide to re-do it I'll get some spray gel coat and maybe it will look professional. Good video.

13. Member
    I am going to do this on my basscat. Problem is with my boat is it got into three drifferent colors of metal flake, blue flake and silver flake. Plus the factory base coat is black. So my thought process was going to spray the black base first and blow on the blue metal flake..clear it..then tape it over..spray clear..then blow on the silver heavy flake. Then unmask and clear it all over, wet sand, buff. All with automotive paint, using the same aerosols sprayer as used in video. Sound like a good plan or am I doing something wrong?

Why use automotive clear..
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

15. Member
    Can you post a finished product picture

16. Member
    Well I was using automotive paint in the rest of the process..such as the black base coat, I figured I'd just use auto clear as a final process. Or do you think I should use auto paint for the base for the metal flake and then use a clear gel coat spray as the final coat coverage? I just found a product that is a clear gel coat that comes in a aerosol can that you mix in the can itself...

Skip the automotive paint all together, and use gel coat throughout. Tint it black for base, mix flake with clear, and clear gel coat final. Too much work in it to "half fast" it.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Skip the automotive paint all together, and use gel coat throughout. Tint it black for base, mix flake with clear, and clear gel coat final. Too much work in it to "half fast" it.
    This ^^^
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

19. Member
    Well the way the gel comes in that aerosol it's a "puncture" the bottom of can to release the mixing agents then spray. It's not a mix in the mixing cup then put in a spray gun type..
    Last edited by 90pantera; 02-18-2018 at 08:09 PM.

20. Member
    S how do I mix the gel?