Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Is the LCD delay a thing of the past now?

2. Member
    Anybody tried a ps22 or ps30 for downview ice fishing? From what I can tell my flasher has much better fish to bottom separation than my ps30 but I’ve only used the ps30 in the boat. My flasher also only sees a tiny area compared to the ps30. I really wish garmin would add a bottom zoom option for the ps30.

3. Member
    My opinion and remember it is only an opinion. Bottom separation is tome a nit picking thing. Reason being fish that are tight to the bottom are normally the least aggressive in any school of fish. All the flasher guys like to talk about how the fish separated from the bottom and spanked their lure/bait. Maybe /maybe not one that comes in on the edge of the transducers cone APPEARS to be rising from the bottom. Most of my strikes if not on initial fall of lure come as I am slowly rising the lure.

Best way to tell the degree of separation if you think it is important. Clamp a large removable split shot on end of line. Clamp another four or five inches up. Let line out till hits bottom . Lift line slowly till you see both marks . If both shot are seen move top shot little closer on reel up. Repeat until both shot appear as one mark. Measure final distance lets say its 3/4 of inch. Separate the shot about another 1/4 inch apart and see if two marks again. When you do measure final distance between shot. That would give you an idea of the exact amount of separation.

The Garmin Ice Ducers GT8 and GT10 have adjustable cones. I really like that feature. I have had some success on ice with the PS21 just not enough trips with it to accurately comment on performance on ice. Still think the angle is going to be more important on the ps21 under the ice than using on the boat. Hopefully will be better armed with info at end of this ice season.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

4. Banned
    adjustable cones...do you mean by adjusting the frequency?

I guess the bottom separation thing would depend on when and whats being fished for. In my case, fishing for catfish during the day can be a matter of dropping the bait right on their noses since theyre not always active.

5. Banned
    Our spots will be belly to the bottom and very aggressive all winter

6. Member
    Caught some Friday 80 ft deep dead on bottom trying to catch some walleye. Always amazes me how deep spots will go in the winter here.

Yes, adjusting the manual frequency changes the cone angle. The Plus units show the cone angle in the menu selection. On other units you have to do your own math.

You've given me some testing ideas on separation. Thanks.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 12-31-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Schins View Post
    Is the LCD delay a thing of the past now?

If getting a flasher get a vexilar it is better than any lcd unit, however my brother has a ps22 7” ice bundle and that is pretty sweet! 1800$ though but we are on a Garmin page. ps-19* for the high today here
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    If getting a flasher get a vexilar it is better than any lcd unit, however my brother has a ps22 7” ice bundle and that is pretty sweet! 1800$ though but we are on a Garmin page. ps-19* for the high today here
    warmer than here -11 right now and not many lakes around to trying ice fishing

what kind of range are you getting with that ice 22?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hays47 View Post
    My opinion and remember it is only an opinion. Bottom separation is tome a nit picking thing. Reason being fish that are tight to the bottom are normally the least aggressive in any school of fish. All the flasher guys like to talk about how the fish separated from the bottom and spanked their lure/bait. Maybe /maybe not one that comes in on the edge of the transducers cone APPEARS to be rising from the bottom. Most of my strikes if not on initial fall of lure come as I am slowly rising the lure.

Best way to tell the degree of separation if you think it is important. Clamp a large removable split shot on end of line. Clamp another four or five inches up. Let line out till hits bottom . Lift line slowly till you see both marks . If both shot are seen move top shot little closer on reel up. Repeat until both shot appear as one mark. Measure final distance lets say its 3/4 of inch. Separate the shot about another 1/4 inch apart and see if two marks again. When you do measure final distance between shot. That would give you an idea of the exact amount of separation.

The Garmin Ice Ducers GT8 and GT10 have adjustable cones. I really like that feature. I have had some success on ice with the PS21 just not enough trips with it to accurately comment on performance on ice. Still think the angle is going to be more important on the ps21 under the ice than using on the boat. Hopefully will be better armed with info at end of this ice season.
    around here walleyes lay on the bottom. You only see them slightly off the bottom during active feeding which is dawn and dusk. I will agree the ones on the bottom are not very active but I would rather be where there’s inactive fish than no fish. Just wondering if it’s worth the hassle to try my ps30 through the ice or stick to the ps21 and my flasher. I haven’t tried all the lcd units out there but haven’t seen anything that competes with with a good vexilar for marking tiny jigs and fish really close to the bottom. My ps21 works great for finding suspended fish like crappie. Then park over them with the vexilar.

10. Member
    I once stated I would never ice fish without some kind of vexilar. Friend from Wisconsin invited me out to ice fish with him for a week. He had a Humminbird 788 CI rigged with a Quadrabeam plus transducer. The quadrabeam was once referred to as the poor man's SI. Big difference was the quadrabeam didn't need movement to work properly. We were fishing for jumbo perch.

Well when I seen the advantages that week he made a liar out of me. Cause I no longer own a flasher of any type. Vexilars have no mapping and no GPS. I bought an 788 when I returned home rigged it just like my friend for less money than any vexilar would cost.Flashers do not show any history so if you are not constantly staring at it you miss info. Flashers do not use CHIRP..

As I fished with friends when I returned to Ohio. They slowly but surely switched away from flashers. The more modern MFD can do anything the flasher does PLUS. Seeing is believing simple as that.

As for rigging a PS 30 for ice fishing. I think a PS-22 would be a far better option. I love my PS 30 in the boat . Hopefully Ohio's ice season will be of normal length this year.
    I have decided to wring my PS 21 out to the nth degree of performance. I believe it will be the ultimate fish finder on ice.

As to being able to see small lures. Anything you see on a Vex I can see on my Echomap 9 inch screen. When I posted the advantages on an ice fishing site over flashers. I was considered a " heretic ". Tried to explain I was a big a believer at one time as they were. Just as Vexilars were the leading edge because they displayed color over the standard flashers at the time. Technology improves and moves forward everyday. Some of us adapt some of us don't. Compare the new Ice package that Humminbird came out with in the Helix 7 Ice G2 . It even has the capability to run Smart Strike mapping. Which is very useful on new lakes you wish to fish.

I don't have any 100' depths to fish around here. Most of the reservoirs around here struggle to get to 30'. My home lake does have 60' but the fish stage mostly in the shallow parts. The " spots" others have mentioned I assume are spotted bass. Around here Northeast Ohio, they are only predominant in the Ohio River. So am not familiar with their behavior. Walleye I am extremely familiar with but don't fish for them. I do catch and eat them though as they are too delicious to throw back.
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

11. Member
    I once stated I would never ice fish without some kind of vexilar. Friend from Wisconsin invited me out to ice fish with him for a week. He had a Humminbird 788 CI rigged with a Quadrabeam plus transducer. The quadrabeam was once referred to as the poor man's SI. Big difference was the quadrabeam didn't need movement to work properly. We were fishing for jumbo perch.

Well when I seen the advantages that week he made a liar out of me. Cause I no longer own a flasher of any type. Vexilars have no mapping and no GPS. I bought an 788 when I returned home rigged it just like my friend for less money than any vexilar would cost.Flashers do not show any history so if you are not constantly staring at it you miss info. Flashers do not use CHIRP..

As I fished with friends when I returned to Ohio. They slowly but surely switched away from flashers. The more modern MFD can do anything the flasher does PLUS. Seeing is believing simple as that.

As for rigging a PS 30 for ice fishing. I think a PS-22 would be a far better option. I love my PS 30 in the boat . Hopefully Ohio's ice season will be of normal length this year.
    I have decided to wring my PS 21 out to the nth degree of performance. I believe it will be the ultimate fish finder on ice.

As to being able to see small lures. Anything you see on a Vex I can see on my Echomap 9 inch screen. When I posted the advantages on an ice fishing site over flashers. I was considered a " heretic ". Tried to explain I was a big a believer at one time as they were. Just as Vexilars were the leading edge because they displayed color over the standard flashers at the time. Technology improves and moves forward everyday. Some of us adapt some of us don't. Compare the new Ice package that Humminbird came out with in the Helix 7 Ice G2 . It even has the capability to run Smart Strike mapping. Which is very useful on new lakes you wish to fish.

I don't have any 100' depths to fish around here. Most of the reservoirs around here struggle to get to 30'. My home lake does have 60' but the fish stage mostly in the shallow parts. The " spots" others have mentioned I assume are spotted bass. Around here Northeast Ohio, they are only predominant in the Ohio River. So am not familiar with their behavior. Walleye I am extremely familiar with but don't fish for them. I do catch and eat them though as they are too delicious to throw back.
    Having maps available is a definite advantage to the mfd over a flasher for sure. Like I said I just personally haven’t seen a lcd unit that I think works as well as my vex and I can’t afford to try them all. Every mfd type unit I have used has delay when jigging, this may only be a second or two, but I think this matters sometimes. The Vex is instantaneous feedback of your jig and fish.

Might need to take out my ps30 just to my pond and try it through the ice as I seem to have trouble seeing small jigs on it in the summer. This would give me a chance to play with it and have a few less variables of the boat moving.

12. Member
    Not to argue but LCD displays are slow. The LED displays are just as quick as any flasher.

13. Member
    I think a PS-22 would be a far better option. I love my PS 30 in the boat .
    I think you have something there. I've never tried the PS30 on the trolling motor as I already have too much stuff on it. I do now have a PS22 on it that I can rotate to use for LiveVu Forward or switch back to LiveVu Down. I don't think that I get the distance out of it that I get from the PS30 but it's hard to be definitive about that without a verifiable test like I did with the PS21. Maybe when the weather moderates I can try it. I really like having the PS22 on LiveVu Down on the trolling motor. I can look in two directions at the same time and then rotate it and look again. I confident of its performance about 40 ft in each direction in deep water. It's hard say beyond that. I've really got to do some deep water testing (>100) to find out its limits. I run the gain on medium most always. I don't much like how the screen looks on High.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

14. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    I'd like to see a 12" ecomap plus, a "123sv" for $1500 would be very nice!!! I know they'd sell too!!!

15. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    ^^^^^ I was thinking the same thing today....I just pulled the trigger on the Echo Plus and panoptix today.....first time to try Garmin out....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

16. Banned

Was it for Panoptix, or going away from Lowrance?
    Last edited by Schins; 01-06-2018 at 10:11 PM.

17. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    At this point for Panoptix.....

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    ^^^^^ I was thinking the same thing today....I just pulled the trigger on the Echo Plus and panoptix today.....first time to try Garmin out....
    And..... that would be which Plus and which Panoptix?

19. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    93sv, CV 52 and PS 22 TR......

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    93sv, CV 52 and PS 22 TR......
    You've done your homework. This is a really nice unit and fun to use. I go fishing to have fun and this unit adds to that. The four programmable buttons make it a breeze to instantly switch to a different view. There is a bit of a downside, at least for me. The PS22 can do forward or down depending on how you mount it. No matter which one I have it set on I can't help but wonder what the other would be showing if I changed the mount. Haha!!! Garmin probably had a psychiatrist help design this one. FWIW, the way I adjusted to this was to take advantage of my HDPE bolted to the fin of my trolling motor. I mounted the PS22 directly to it using a homemade spacer and plastic washers. The plastic washers allow me to set the tension of the mounting bolt. I don't want it to move unless I move it, but I want to be able to quickly move it. So when I want to change I jerk up the TM give it a twist and drop the TM back in the water. Just a few seconds is all it takes. The 93 don't like that since it knows the screen is set to Forward and now its rotated to Down. That's how the buttons help. #1 is for the Forward, #2 for Down. So when I drop the TM I just reach down and hit the second button and I'm back in business.

Love your boat. I have a dealer that is almost within sight of my house. I have to drive by it every time I go fishing. It's killing me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast