Valuing a boat with a blown motor for sale/purchase?

Regardless of the brand, would NADA low boat/motor/trailer value less the NADA low motor value less expense to return rig to NADA average condition be a fair starting point before considering boat/trailer condition and accessories? If repowering, presuming that any residual value of the blown motor would be offset by the rerigging expenses and disposal.

Opinions or other approaches?

Thanks...

Either way you will lose a little. Selling a boat with a blown motor will have to be discounted some to make it sell. Same goes if you repower. The new motor on an old boat can turn some people away but that depends on the boat and how old it is and the condition it is in. Some boats like Basscat and Ranger that are known to be solidly built boats would be better than say Nitro. It really depends on many factors.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    This is the way I would think about it. To make the boat an "average" boat you are going to either put an engine on it or rebuild what you have got. The "rebuild what you have got" is such an unknown amount of money and you could end up getting into it and finding out it is worse than what you thought - so I would not figure that into the value at all. I would consider the current engine having zero value. So, what will it cost you to get a replacement good engine? Let's just pick some numbers. The low NADA is $10,000 for everything and you can find a replacement engine/rigging for $3,500 installed. So, that puts the boat at $6,500 minus what ever amount of money the hassle factor is worth. If I have to buy a non-running boat the amount for hassle factor is pretty high. Essentially, you are no longer in a "retail" pricing structure but a "wholesale" pricing structure. Kinda like "trade-in" value on a car.

In reality I would look at rebuilding what was on it or parting it out. The blown engine will have some actual value even though I considered it worthless for pricing purposes. What you can get for the old motor is just a bonus for you after the sale.

If it were something I was really interested in the most I would be willing to give would be 80% of $6,500 or $5,200 minus the hassle factor amount.

4. Member
    I bought my latest boat with a blown engine. I paid about 70% of what the book value was and about half of what they were actually selling for. In the end I came out ahead of the game and have an engine that should last me for as long as plan on keeping the boat.

5. Member
    I would sell the boat with out the motor . Then part the motor out are sell as is ?