Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shrimp Boil Question

OK, question #1 got some Old Bay Seasoning (is there a crab/shrimp boil mix or is the seasoning good enough) how much do you use in your pot?

Question #2 I have heard of some people that only boil the shrimp for a minute and take off the heat and let sit in the water for another 20 minutes.

I have done this a time or two but just trying to get it down better.

2. Member
    I would boil the shrimp, remove from water and then put old bay on.

3. Member
    We always use the Old Bay Seasoning pouches. Toss a couple into a large pot of boiling water, add shrimp and turn off the burner. ready to eat in about 10 minutes. Most people tend to overcook shrimp.

4. Member
    Don't forget to add some fresh celery leaves to the water. I can't remember why but it works. Just chop a couple from the top of stalks.

5. Banned
    Old Bay

Zatarains

6. Member
    Im sure a cajun will be along shortly. The cajuns i know have the best shrimp and crab boils ive ever had.
    Ranger 520vx Yamaha 225 ox66.

7. Member
    Old Bay should be fine, but they do make a shrimp boil liquid.

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo_stiglitz View Post
    Zatarains

9. Member
    Old Bay

Zatarains
    I agree 100%

10. Member
    It's kinda like chili.... you'll need to try a few times to get better as you go for your taste I double up on the zatarains seasonings in the boxes for what they call for and toss in a few spoons of old bay too add an extra bay leaf make sure ther is plenty of salt get to a rolling boil and add the shrimp round about 3 minutes they are done some toss them in ice water but I like mine while ther hit
    good luck

11. Member
    What in the heck is old bay?

12. Member
    Man you need some Louisiana brand seafood boil seasoning(or zatarains) . Boil water with seasoning, potatoes, onions, lemons, sausage, hot dogs, whatever you kike in there until taters are almost done, add shrimp boil 1 minute then cut the fire off and add some ice to stop the cooking and start the soaking. Let em soak till they make your forehead sweat and take em out and enjoy. Have the beer iced down and ready!

Zatarains. Boil no more than 10 minutes, and more like 7-8. Everybody tends to overlook shrimp.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Old Bay

Zatarains
    this^^^^^^
    and i hope some of you guys dont cook steaks like you do shrimp,,, they only need to boil 2 or 3 minutes tops.....

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

15. Papap
    If you like spicy shrimp. Butterfly but don’t peel them before boiling. Lots of places down here in Louisiana sell them this way.
    2016 Ranger RT188
    Suzuki 115SS
    80# Fourtrex
    Lowrance HDS 10 & 9

16. Member
    The longer you cook them the harder they are to peel. Once they turn pink, I usually give them another minute and then spread them out on a table. If they’re still hot and stacked on top of each other then they are still cooking.

17. Member
    any boiled seafood is all about seasoning the water. The more water, the more seasoning. For any boil season the water and boil for 10 or 15 minutes before adding any seafood. For shrimp, drop in rolling boil for 2 minutes. At 2 minutes drop in a bag of ice to start cooling the water. This is where you get the seasoning in the shrimp. Soak for 15 minutes or so til they are seasoned like you want them. Main thing with shrimp is to stop the boil with the ice. Zatarains or Chackbay seasoning with at minimum cayanne pepper, salt, garlic, and squeeze in lemons when you cut the fire at 2 minutes. If you want to add any veggies put them in before the seafood if they have to boil longer.

Don't turn the shrimp into bullets. Cook everything and then put your shrimp in at the very end. Shrimp is fully cooked 3 minutes at a boil at the most.

JC's post above has got it down

19. Member
    32 quart pot = 3/4 cup old bay

shrimp = pull off heat at 3-minutes (4 minutes max)
    I don't know where we are, but we are making darn good time.

Old bay shrimp and crab boil liquid. Follow directions. Boil no longer than necessary for them to turn pink, wont be more than 3 minutes. Let them steep a few minutes. have ice and water ready and just as soon as you take them out of the hot water put them in the ice water. The sudden temp shock will make the shells peel off much easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast