Moving to Auburn/Opelika area

Like the subject line says, I've recently "been advised" that we are moving to SE Alabama from NC soon, to get closer to some of our kids and two of our grand daughters. Probably in an area, where I can access both Lakes Harding and Martin, with little driving. How is the fishing on both lakes and how is the crime in the boat ramp areas?

Thanks
    "Semper Fi"
    USMC (ret)

2. Member
    Harding is fun, a lot of docks. Martin is tough, lots of fish, not many big ones. I've never heard of any issues with crime at the ramps.

3. Member
    Thanks Mcawthon. I’ll look you up when we figure things out.
    "Semper Fi"
    USMC (ret)

I fish Harding all the time. You will be using the ramps on the AL side. A couple years ago, a few break ins happened at the Long bridge ramp. They caught the guys....... Meth heads..... Fishing is good year round at Harding.
    "There are 3 types of people, those who can count, and those who can't"

5. Member
    Thanks
    "Semper Fi"
    USMC (ret)

6. Banned
    If I was moving to the Opelika area, Lake Martin would be on my short list to move to.

But then I too would have to change my allegiance to different universities.

7. Member
    i live about 5 mins from harding an fish it several times a month, it can be challenging at times, its a a big enough lake you can always find something new but small enough where you feel like you can learn the whole thing. in the prime times you will see guys weighing 20 pounds, others like this past summer most were weighing in less than 10. crappie fishing is pretty good an you can usually find a couple good schools of stripes. worst part of harding is summer time weekends, its gets very crowded makes fishing very hard plus i believe the fish pull out because of all the wave action. if you can fish during the week its a totally different lake than the weekend and it seems the fish respond like it. post above is correct, tons of docks, but with tons of docks come tons of boats an jetskis. harding has very tight nit community feel to it withing the folks that live there. ive never known a lake with that, you can check out the lake harding facebook group.
    crime, stick with long bridge and po-boys on the alabama side an you shouldnt have any issues. there is another one we call valley park, and even though they just re-paved the ramp and put a new dock and bath house up it has a reputation for drawing some sketchy activities, they have taken some measures to keep rif raf out and the ramp is in a great location on the water but its not lost that reputation an i wouldnt use it.

good thing about this area is you are close enough the several lakes that you can go a few places an have very different fisheries. just down stream of harding you have goat rock and oliver, then about 45 mins further you have eufaula. 30 mins up stream you have west point, and going west you have martin. i like martin in the late fall and winter, you can get on some huge schools of spots and yank em up all day with a spoon. you aint gonna catch many big ones but catching 30+ spots in a hours is good fun i dont care who ya are.

as far as living in the opelika/auburn area, i think its a great place. i look around a the surrounding bigger cities like Columbus and Montgomery, Birmingham etc, an i always think, hey we got it pretty good right here, those places are junk compared.

8. Member
    Thanks Jeremy.
    As soon as the snow and ice exits Eastern Carolina, we’ll be heading down to see the kids and do some neighborhood looking. We’re retired, so fishing during the week, will be the priority when possible. Right now, we have a brick ranch with a two car attached. Had a 28X24 two story built at the end of the driveway, for the boat, truck, tackle and tools. Of course the upstairs is full of everything the kids didn’t take with them, after leaving college and joining the work force from Al to Tx.
    May have to build, to get at least a 3 garage setup with on bay wide and deep for our Intracoastal.
    Appreciate the info on the lakes. Last summer, I got to ride around Harding on a hot Sunday afternoon and like you said, it’s quite busy. Looked around Martin from the truck and it’s a really pretty body of water.
    Really appreciate all the info. We are looking forward to the move and some new water to learn.
    r/
    Steve
    Last edited by Natch64; 01-07-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    "Semper Fi"
    USMC (ret)

9. Member
    both lakes are big recreational lakes on the weekend, I'd recommend trying to stay near the harding area because that puts you very close to Lake Westpoint and Lake Oliver as well.