LBL Whitetail hunting

if anyone here hunts the LBL area could you PM me I have some questions.
    thinking in 2018 I want to take a trip out of state hunting and would like to try LBL.
    not looking for honey holes just some general questions about the area.

2. Banned
    How are you wanting to hunt? Rifle?

There's a quota hunt you have to apply for to rifle hunt, takes a year or more to accumulate enough points to get drawn.

If you bowhunt, I think you have a lot more options.

I don't deer hunt out there, but do duck hunt it. Figured I'd reply to your post so it might get a few more looks to help you out.

want to Bow hunt and camp for a few days

Go to Higginson Henry WMA,much better than LBL in my opinion. Look it up...

the herd at lbl has been devastated by mismanagement and blue tongue. you would be better off selecting another area to hunt. there are always some big deer on lbl but the population is so small right now the odds of seeing one are minimal. it is sickening what the biologist and game managers have let happen out there, it is so bad its like they did it on purpose.
    Ranger Forever

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by barkleyhawggitter View Post
    the herd at lbl has been devastated by mismanagement and blue tongue. you would be better off selecting another area to hunt. there are always some big deer on lbl but the population is so small right now the odds of seeing one are minimal. it is sickening what the biologist and game managers have let happen out there, it is so bad its like they did it on purpose.
    I thought it was the idiot locals who opposed the timber management plan that caused a great deal of the problem.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barkleyhawggitter View Post
    How did the biologists and game managers contribute to the blue tongue disease?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    How did the biologists and game managers contribute to the blue tongue disease?
    Yeah I am pretty sure the biologists didn't induce blue tongue and that outbreak wasn't isolated to Lbl. Also pretty sure the biologists have a pretty good idea of what needs to happen to bring the herd back but their hands are tied by a bunch of other forces at play. Timber harvest being one, but calling the locals idiots really isn't appropriate, that is a sensitive subject to some which the other poster obviously has no idea about. LBL is used by a bunch of different people for a variety of different uses, it isn't like the biologists have free reign to manage it for good deer hunting.

9. Member
    They did raise the out of state license fees, And no more bonus deer there. I hunt it 3 mos out of the year. great place.

10. Member

11. Member
    I used to hunt the Tenn side quite a bit. Not sure what is to blame, but the deer are not even close to what they used to be number wise. We hunted with a party of 3, long time hunting partners, and most always took a fair deer during the Nov gun hunt when we drew it. We bow hunted the rest of the time. 160 inch 10 pt was my best there. Don't even go any more. I'm sure there are some mature bucks still there, but I haven't see even a small part of the sign and sightings we used to a few years back.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCranks View Post
    I used to hunt the Tenn side quite a bit. Not sure what is to blame, but the deer are not even close to what they used to be number wise.
    Lack of food would be my guess. Used to be a lot of standing corn left out there, but not anymore.

Lack of forestry management has been a key factor as well, TVA wasn't much on managing the forest, they just left it alone which allowed a lot of non-native species to thrive and push out the good native varieties. Once the USDA Forestry Service took it over, they started down the path of correcting things, but like Chief Paduke said, the locals lost their minds when they saw a lot of trees cut down and put a stop to it. I think things are back to going again, but with a lot more reporting to the public and explanations of why things are being done in the manner that they are.