Thread: Motor Buying

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Once or twice a year Yamaha runs specials where you buy the motor and they give you the extended warranty. My Yamaha was bought in October and they added three years to the regular three years for a total of six years warranty at no cost to me. Watch their website and wait until they run a deal.

As said above, I would not buy a new motor yet.......but that is your business. I would replace a two stroke at the drop of a hat anytime, but if I had a good running four stroke I would keep running it. I would do the other stuff and keep some money for a new motor in a separate account..... If you buy an extended warranty, with Yamaha I believe you can buy your extended warranty anytime before the first year ends. I am not positive, but I think I am right.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

2. Banned
    I think Sims Yamaha will sell an ESP so much cheaper than other dealers.

What is funny is their limited Yamaha franchise is 25 hp max., but they sell all Yamaha parts at a discount And they do a great job And they are on an island off the coast of Green Bay, WI in lake Michigan.

How much $$$$$ is a new Yamaha 250 Sho?

4. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Repower and replace a 2012 motor?? Holy crap. I'm running a 1997 Merc and the though rarely crosses my mind on replacing it. Why waste your money? Run that sucker until the rice boils...

I've got a 2011 250 SHO and money is not a problem but no way I'd replace my motor , it runs like new . You can count on unexpected expenses with children .

6. Banned
    Assuming you will have to spend about 15k on your plan do you think you mightbe able to get into say a 2013 or 14 say 519 with 3 ish years of warranty?

7. Member
    Have you guys seen the cost of replacing the powerhead on a SHO? I can sell my motor and get into a Mercury for roughly 5k on top and that includes controls. So that is the route I'm leaning right now. The piece of mind running a motor with a warranty is what I like.

8. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Sounds like you have made up your mind. Good luck. I would not do it.

9. Member
    If that engine is dependable with no major issues do yourself a favor,KEEP IT
    keep working,your neighbor thanks you

10. Member
    I can't see any logic in replacing a perfectly good motor that is paid for....regardless if it has warrenty or not. If not paid for, and your warrenty is expiring, I could see wanting to get back under a warrenty for peace of mind. Otherwise, I'd be running that motor til is blows.

I repowered my 2001 ox66 Yamaha with a 2004 HPDI in 2009. Been running it ever since. Will continue to run it till it gives up the ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by ethand View Post
    If that engine is dependable with no major issues do yourself a favor,KEEP IT
    No, no, no, Yamaha is junk, sell it!

OP, how much do you want for the Yamaha? Good luck with the Mercury, lol.......

12. Member
    I would run the one you have until it’s more expensive to keep than to replace.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    No, no, no, Yamaha is junk, sell it!

OP, how much do you want for the Yamaha? Good luck with the Mercury, lol.......

I have a sale pending on it currently. I can get rigged for a Mercury for an additional 4200 on top of my selling price. When your looking at the cost of 8-11k to replace a powerhead on the show, I feel like not having to worry and paying the money up front will be piece of mind.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssuvette View Post
    I have a sale pending on it currently. I can get rigged for a Mercury for an additional 4200 on top of my selling price. When your looking at the cost of 8-11k to replace a powerhead on the show, I feel like not having to worry and paying the money up front will be piece of mind.
    But your powerhead is working just fine. No need to even worry about it right now.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

2012 SHO and you want to replace it. Im still running a 2008 HPDI sold new in 2010. I’m closing in on 400 hours and not a single issue. The SHO will go a couple thousand hours easy. Save your money.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    2012 SHO and you want to replace it. Im still running a 2008 HPDI sold new in 2010. I’m closing in on 400 hours and not a single issue. The SHO will go a couple thousand hours easy. Save your money.
    Had a HPDI that went pop three times in 4 years so I guess you win some and lose some. That is also a factor in my piece of mind situation. And both powerheads put on were dressed powerheads from Yamaha.

17. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Did you check to see if it falls in the replacement powerhead recall, Not sure which ones but a lot where sent letters to have the powerhead replaced by Yamaha??

Pre-congrats on the little one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12