For the Supers out there - lawnmower questions

I have about 3/4 of an acre that I cut at our lake house. I used to always mow it with a regular 20" mower. This past fall, got lucky and found a deal on a real nice Husqvarna Walkbehind commercial mover with a 36" cut. I've only mowed twice, but I think I saved over an hour of cutting time!! Awesome.

Here is my question - I currently mow on the second or third fastest setting because that's about all I can keep up with walking. My mower is set up to attach a sulky or velke or whatever else they are called. If I get one, how hard are they to use / get used to? Will going faster be an option if I do or will I just hurt myself. :)

I know you don't know me or anything - I'm just looking for general information - most people find them hard to use. Or they are easy to use. Or they take some getting used to, but once you get used to it you can go faster . . . etc.

Thanks!

2. Member
    I have actually never used one. I've seen a lot of landscape people with them and they all go faster than I could walk behind. I'm sure it would be a lot easier on the legs. Probably a learning curve but the ones I've observed don't seem to have any problems operating them. If you have steep slopes, I would be cautious about using one. Hopefully someone with experience will get on here.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

My neighbor's nephew use to cut her lawn with a Scag that had one. When he would go to turn he would drag his outside foot off the back for more balance so he didn't get whipped off it.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

Just takes a little time to get use to it. You already know the controls of the machine so it shouldnt take much. You can go a touch faster with them, but the main thing is your not walking, so its easier. Make some turns with it out in the open before you go trying to do some trim work with it. You will find your self stepping off on occasion when making a turn your not comfortable with, but sometimes its only one foot and then right back on. Sometimes it takes a little body english if your on a slope. Just like anything else, practice makes perfect and if you already know the machine the learning curve is pretty easy

5. Member
    Thanks everyone! The land is real flat so at least that’s not an issue. I may have to look for one before spring....

Don’t forget to have someone video you your first time using it!

7. Member
    My wife already was wishing she videotaped the first time I mowed walking behind it!!