Bitcoin Contagion

An analyst said a crash in bitcoin could hurt the stock market. I guess if you borrowed money to buy bitcoins or bought on margin (if you can do that) or used your equity line to buy coins it could force you to sell stock for cash. But is there enough bitcoin owners out there to even affect the wider market if a bitcoin crash happens? Are bitcoins underlying some derivatives or something? I don’t see how one would directly impact the other unless it is just a function of fear and panic that spreads. Am I missing something?

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    No way. Bitcoin could go to zero tomorrow and the stock market wouldn't blink. There's a couple stocks that would get killed but those are just some small companies. I think the majority of bitcoin owners don't own stocks. There aren't any big derivatives yet that actually hold bitcoin. There is an investment trust that holds bitcoin but they're only a few billion.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    No way. Bitcoin could go to zero tomorrow and the stock market wouldn't blink. There's a couple stocks that would get killed but those are just some small companies. I think the majority of bitcoin owners don't own stocks. There aren't any big derivatives yet that actually hold bitcoin. There is an investment trust that holds bitcoin but they're only a few billion.
    -
    I totally agree; I think because bitcoin is hot in the news cycle right now; anybody the news talks about who borrow money to buy bitcoin, are actually very few and far between.
    -
    Kinda like when some reporter says; “we have reports of people doing .......XYZ (insert activity here)” it could just be 2 goons in the newsroom acting the fool to try and add validity to a story. (But as you can tell; I’m a bit jaded by the news, so I could be off-base on this one)

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    agree, and I own both..money is a gamble, if you want to make more, and I'm not liven like a hippie