Tracking Collars for Rabbit Beagles

All through the 80s and 90s we grew up with rabbit dogs but got out of it in the late 90s. Last week I went out with a friend rabbit hunting for the first time in 20 years. Wow what a blast. I can't believe I've been out of the loop this long. His dogs are really good, including a couple Grandchampion dogs. He had collars on every dog and recommended I get collars for my dogs I'm buying. We used no collars years ago, so this will be new to me. He loves and recommends Garmin Alpha tracking/training collars. Any of you guys had experience with these collars or any other collars? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks. Glen

2. Banned
    I have bird dogs. I’ve never had beagles. I like the Alpha TT because it is simpler than using a tracking collar and a training collar. The training functionality of the Alpha is not as sophisticated as that of the high end training collars. I have never had any trouble with the Alpha like some Alpha/Astro users have had. The problems seem to come with the high end users downloading all kinds of software and fixes and stuff. There is a Garmin Alpha/Astro users group on Facebook that is very helpful.
    My hunting partner uses an Astro and Dogtra training collars. He is an IT guy. He puts aerial photos with WMA an property boundaries on his. This can be done on an Alpha too. I just use the standard topos on mine.
    Last edited by Chief Paduke; 12-27-2017 at 09:37 AM.

3. Member
    I've been using the Alpha since they came out and have had almost every model that Tri Tronics has offered as well as a Garmin Astro but the Alpha is by far the best. I have had no issues at all just follow the directions in the manual.

Between 1969 and 1986 I hunted with beagles in Kentucky. By the mid 80s we would jump more deer than rabbits and those dogs just loved running a deer. More often than not I would spend half the day looking for my dogs. Radio collars would have been a great help.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

5. Member
    No idea about beagles, but bird dogs I dont know anyone who DOESNT either use an alpha or plan on replacing their current astro with an alpha before too long.

6. Member
    I've been running beagles for about 10yrs now. I've currently got a pack of 8 and I'll run dogs about 2-3 times a week if time allows. I've been using Sportdog Houndhunter six dog system for some time now. It works great, especially on new dogs (pups) and some hardheaded dogs that won't come back when I whistle.

Also, put bells on your dog collars. Helps locate them in the brush and wards of yotes.

7. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    That's what I run on my Pointer. Nice set up.

I just got my 4 Garmin Alpha collars and device today in the mail. Excited to get em going.