Possible new way to battle wild hogs...

http://whnt.com/2017/12/26/usda-wild...abama-in-2018/

Not gonna solve the problem but if it helps.. Something about poisoning the field though just has me shaking my head... What about the other critters... Maybe it doesn't effect them like it does swine... I'm sure it's all been thought thru..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

2. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I didnt read all the article but i cant help but think it wouldnt be good for other wildlife. As a landowner with a hog problem im always interested in other peoples hog problems and how they handle it. As a sportsmen the only thing that truly seems right and fair is to hunt them like I would hunt anything. That said, we are looking into a bunch of live traps to put on our place. The issue I run into there is if a lot of pigs are trapped there will be a lot of wasted meat. Maybe I look at it wrong since they are such a nuisance. lol

Sooner: if you ever want any help with shooting some hogs let me know.

The issue with poison is that it kills indiscriminately. One phrase in that article really stood out to me:

“so it’s more deadly to them than to humans or most domestic animals”

That does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    The issue with poison is that it kills indiscriminately. One phrase in that article really stood out to me:

“so it’s more deadly to them than to humans or most domestic animals”

That does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
    Yeah I read and the part about the bears... Just not put it out where there are bears... This stuff is supposed to be some very badly tasting stuff.... So most animals won't touch it I imagine.... Hogs are notorious for eating just about anything so that's their thinking there but job number one is keeping the stuff away from deer and other animals.... They also mentioned scavengers that eat the hogs afterwards.... Sounds like a very complicated task... Maybe too complicated...

Jonathan Hillstrand

6. Member
    Sounds like the typical "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help" that usually backfires

https://www.fieldandstream.com/usda-...-boy-kills-dog
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

Huge corn pile and 2 to 5 pounds of TANNERITE !!!!! High powered rifle with a person behind it that can shoot. Let them come in and start eating then when you get a big enough group of them, let the tannerite eat a bullet ------ YOUR WELCOME

Last edited by BADAZZTRITON; 12-27-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Yeah I'm not up for the mangling of them either. I won't even watch the videos..I don't care what kind of damage they do.. If you can't kill them in some sort of humane way about it then let em go... This tannerite shit to me as far as I'm concerned needs to be stopped... It's a video game way about taking care of things and the sportsman in me doesn't like it a bit..

You may get some of right off but you won't kill all if them with the explosion.. that's what turns me off to it. Set a trap... If you can get that many to get that close to the tannerite... Then you can get that many to feed into a trap... Then dispatch of them one quick shot to the head after they are trapped...

Jonathan Hillstrand

9. Banned
    Sounds kind of broad to me. Sure they will have to tweak it once in the field.

Live traps are effective in my area. My neighbor runs two and has nabbed 74, he has teamed up with the usda. I'd rather hunt them, its fun and gives us something to do after deer season. If I farmed for a living I would think different. I usually have to plant my food plot twice a year. Hogs always get my first corn planting.

11. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    They catch on to traps quickly here...even moving them doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference. we get a few pigs each spring in the traps, then they avoid them.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

12. Member
    It doesn't matter to me how they are killed. I am not like many who see them as being sporting game. Where I grew up here in LA, you didn't kill hogs because they belonged to someone. The hog guys kept up their mark by catching, marking, and cutting the boar hogs and killing them when they wanted meat. Land around here was free range. That all changed several years ago. They have always been a nuisance to me, not sporting game. We have a bunch on our lease, but in 8 or 9 years in this lease I have never seen the 1st hog. I have seen night time trail camera photos from others. However, if one ever does come out by me during the day I will try to kill one.

All I can say is COMIGRATIONS! .....

14. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    Yeah I'm not up for the mangling of them either. I won't even watch the videos..I don't care what kind of damage they do.. If you can't kill them in some sort of humane way about it then let em go... This tannerite shit to me as far as I'm concerned needs to be stopped... It's a video game way about taking care of things and the sportsman in me doesn't like it a bit..

You may get some of right off but you won't kill all if them with the explosion.. that's what turns me off to it. Set a trap... If you can get that many to get that close to the tannerite... Then you can get that many to feed into a trap... Then dispatch of them one quick shot to the head after they are trapped...
    Im going to have to agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by preacher ed View Post
    It doesn't matter to me how they are killed. I am not like many who see them as being sporting game. Where I grew up here in LA, you didn't kill hogs because they belonged to someone. The hog guys kept up their mark by catching, marking, and cutting the boar hogs and killing them when they wanted meat. Land around here was free range. That all changed several years ago. They have always been a nuisance to me, not sporting game. We have a bunch on our lease, but in 8 or 9 years in this lease I have never seen the 1st hog. I have seen night time trail camera photos from others. However, if one ever does come out by me during the day I will try to kill one.
    Does it matter that they're not sporting game and considered nuisance animals...? They still deserve to be taken out swiftly and as efficiently as we as hunters can possibly do so....

Jonathan Hillstrand

16. Member
    Too bad Claymore mines are not an option

Quote Originally Posted by BADAZZTRITON View Post
    Huge corn pile and 2 to 5 pounds of TANNERITE !!!!! High powered rifle with a person behind it that can shoot. Let them come in and start eating then when you get a big enough group of them, let the tannerite eat a bullet ------ YOUR WELCOME

No way should tannerite be available to the public. Those videos are sad and disgrace to the outdoors.

18. Member
    Unfortunately, hunting really doesn't do enough to control the population. Once you've put a little pressure on a group of hogs, they will simply move to another area or go nocturnal. The only way to completely remove hogs from an area is to trap or eradicate the entire sounder. Even if you kill half the group or better, the will recover in a few years.

The state of OK actually considered making it illegal to hunt hogs. There got to be such a problem with unscrupulous hunters relocating hogs from SE OK to un-populated areas in the NW. Also, hunting pressure only seem to move the hogs from one area to another that may not of had a problem before.

Unfortunately, we're just gonna have to get used to havin the pigs around for a while. Maybe a bounty would work to motivate some hunters to take hogs, kinda like they did on the yotes in years past. But I think poisoning them with bait will do more harm to other more desirable wildlife than to help reduce numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post

+2....I have a lot of them here on the ranch, I sell pigs hunts to help control them.

I as well don't agree with the Tannerite video. One shot one kill is quick and humane. Or live trap and use them as a food source to feed the homeless if possible. I bet if someone found a good way to utilize or sell them and there was a demand, Like tuna for example, guys would be real interested in shooting or trapping them and the problem would be controlled quickly. Kind of like the gill netters for carp... JMHO