Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pad or not to Pad

I'm in the process of re-carpeting my 1989 Stratos 201 and curious if some folks simply pad the front deck only or do the entire front and rear deck? I do not tournament fish, so really questioning the need for it. I've never had a boat with it and I've re-carpeted several boats over the years, so I don't mind taking it on just curious if it would make that much difference to me and my boat. Just like to hear others thoughts on the padding of my front deck only. My concern is if I only do the front deck and not the rod locker and other lids, it will be too noticeable. Thanks in advance.

2. Banned
    Last edited by Snickers89; 01-04-2018 at 09:04 AM.

I had a pad added to just the front deck when I had my boat carpeted last winter. It's barely noticeable and the comfort it added was well worth it IMHO.

Tom

my front and back deck has it, and I have had several people notice it. it's nice in summer if you take you shoes off. There is a few different kinds of pad, make sure you get a good one.

pad it, best thing they ever did with bass boat deck. no more sore feet.
    Impulse Rods
    Abu Garcia Reels
    Cruncher Baits
    Mizmo Baits
    Vicious Vision
    FISHKDS.com
    Mercury Marine
    Mootsie's Sport Center
    Zeko Shoes
    K9 Fishing Line

6. Member
    Padded my front deck. Standing all day at 56 years old I need all the help I can get.

7. Member
    Had same question 2 years ago, padded mine and couldn't be happier. It's not just your feet, it's knees as well.

8. Member
    So what I'm hearing is that you guys padded the entire front(lids and all) and rear deck, not just the front deck area where one stands? Can you tell me the thickness of your pad? I've heard some people have used 1/8 and others have used 1/4 and did you simply bevel the edges of the lids?

Mine is padded from the very front of the deck to the beginning of the lids. My guy used 1/4" on mine and he did bevel the edges.

Tom

10. Member
    I was thinking about padding my front deck and not adding any carpet. Would like to find a grey pad. Tired of ripping treble hooks out of carpet.

There’re several products like Sea Deck you can take a look at....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

12. Member
    Hydroturf is durable and comes in grey if you want to do away with the carpet

13. Member
    I'm recovering from lower back surgery and have been thinking about this very topic. I have thought about buying one of the mats that cashiers stand on as a temporary fix. I figure I could stick some velcro on the underside of the pad to keep it in place. Remove it when I get home after fishing.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by L&B200M View Post
    Hydroturf is durable and comes in grey if you want to do away with the carpet
    I am about to start hydroturfing my front deck. Stuffs VERY well priced compared to carpet and other similar(SAME IMO) products....and I REALLY REALLY like it! Already ordered the roll a month ago, so ive had a chance to get a good feel for it. I personally like the feel of it more than carpet...plus I like the looks of it too! Call them at their 1800 # and they will send you samples...theyre real good people....they even sent me a 2nd larger ("foot size") sample because I told them I wanted to feel it fully when I stepped on it instead of the little sample square. If I like the application/installation process and final product....im prolly gonna hydroturf my whole boat instead of just the front deck like im currently planning.

Im a Realtor and see carpet often....hate it because its dirty.......after pulling off the old carpet from the front deck today....MAN is carpet a dirty product! Even after vacuuming carpet is still loaded with dirt! The hydroturf will prolly get dirt seeping through too......but I have a feeling its gonna be better in the long run. Plus ive already had to rip out a treble hook from the current carpet! lol...so I feel you on that front! They also have cushion pads for underneath if you want that too!

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by limitlong View Post
    I'm recovering from lower back surgery and have been thinking about this very topic. I have thought about buying one of the mats that cashiers stand on as a temporary fix. I figure I could stick some velcro on the underside of the pad to keep it in place. Remove it when I get home after fishing.
    Theres a marine product thats supposed to be very similar to those thick mats I think youre talking about....they were a good deal more expensive than hydroturf so i crossed them off the list right away and forgotten the name of it. Looked bad ass tho....seemed more appropriate for saltwater type boats! look it up, i bet youll find them with a quick google search

I was going to go with the hydroturf as well but I am still on the fence, I am not sure how to go about doing the lids and having everything sit flush and have a good finished look.
    Po' Boys Milford Jackpots
    I70 Bass Anglers Team Trail

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by beck125 View Post
    I was going to go with the hydroturf as well but I am still on the fence, I am not sure how to go about doing the lids and having everything sit flush and have a good finished look.
    I was actually worried about that too....but just this past week(s) I was watching LakeForkGuy vids on youtube and they were fishing off an aluminum Xpress, that had been sprayed with rhinoliner type stuff. The lids had small gaps......but it didnt bother me looking at it like i thought it would. Then I found this video....and actually liked the look of the way they did it! ( ) and got me wondering wether I should do the whole boat instead of just the front deck.

I only have a 50hp on my 17ft tracker.....so the lids not being flush up against each other isnt worrying me since I dont see them flying open while im on the water. Maybe if you go higher speeds that will be an issue?....but I like the hydroturf feel. I have heard the complaint that it marks up easy with footprints....but i figure a little hose and scrub should do it....plus im not entering any pretty boat contests anytime soon if it does get dirty! lol

Quote Originally Posted by limitlong View Post
    Aurora, the company who makes Aurora boat covers, used to custom build a snap in deck pad for the front deck of many brands of bass boats. You might contact them to see if they still produce them.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

19. Member
    Post some before and after pic's ......thanks love them older Stratos 201

20. Member
    Have a 1998 Stratos I think. Something around that age. There's a really thick coating under the front deck carpet I had a hell of a hard time getting it off. Had to use a torch and scrape it off. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast