Exclamation mouting failure of big electronics to the side of the console

I have a 10 in helix mounted via a horizontal Kong mount to the side of my Z21 console. The last trny we had heavy wind blown chop at bast off and I suffered a mount failure. It was not the Kong mount but rather the fiberglass. It was mounted by "pro" installers, but it was not a "pro" job. The Kong mount has holes for 6 bolts, only 3 were used in a triangle pattern. The installers used fender washers but one was 1/2 the size of the other 2 and it was the top of the triangle. Guess which one pulled/cracked the fiberglass. I did not discover this until it broke. I had the fiberglass repaired. Built a backing plate out of 1/16" aluminum plate and shaped it so that it followed to roll of the upper console corner. I used all 6 bolts and additionally, used 1.5 " fender washers and shaped them as needed to the roll of the console. If this fails, it will have to pull the side of my console off.

I have seen many boats done this way. Check the backing used to make sure it is sturdy enough to handle the load.

2. Member
    In looking at these the setup with the Kong and Ballzout mounts I was always afraid of the potential for that to happen with larger graphs. I ended up going with the over steering wheel type mounts because of it. I wonder how many others have had their console crack.

3. Precision Sonar
    https://precisionsonar.com/product-p...bracket-nitro/
    We’v seen this scenario more times than i care to tell you about and there is no sense in that happening
    Go this route you be a lot happier i promise

Precision Sonar & Outdoors
    Home of the Patented Smart Bracket Console Mounting System
    email: ryank@precisionsonar.com
    phone: 270-703-6133

I agree with Randy, plus side mounts could be ripped off by water, when running in rough conditions. Have seen this happen.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    I've run 12 inch raymarines on the side on both kong and balzout with no problems. I guarantee those rays are alot heavier than birds and lows. It's all about proper installation.

6. Member
    When I had my Helix 10's at the console I had one mounted on a Ram swing mount. We used a 1/2 thick square of Starboard as a backer behind the console and large body washers. It was rock solid. The 2nd pic you can see the Ram base still mounted to the side of the console.

'17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades