Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Crappie fishing structure pics. Let’s see what you built!

Seen this mansion going down the road earlier. I’m wanting to build a few and not go with the traditional “leftover Christmas tree”. If we can get enough interest and pics posted I will pin this to the top for tips and ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Banned
    WoW that's cool looking,probably need a pontoon boat transporting to its drop off location.

Quote Originally Posted by riverc View Post
    WoW that's cool looking,probably need a pontoon boat transporting to its drop off location.
    Just a guess, but I bet they lower that down under a boat slip.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

4. Member
    They make a product that looks like a satellite that you drop in the lakes, so we get the bright idea to collect all the bowling balls that no one wanted anymore. We proceeded to drill holes in them and glue in spaghetti pvc pipe of different sizes. We ended up with ten of them that we sunk in our lakes and was catching crappie off them in 3 months. They show up really well on the sonar. Wish we had taken pics of them. We have made hundreds of different styles and sizes. The ones using wood or trees usually break down after a couple years. Generally we try to use hedge and refresh it once in a while with willow. Would like to try some bamboo but i don't want to plant it as it cannot be eradicated.

5. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    They make a product that looks like a satellite that you drop in the lakes, so we get the bright idea to collect all the bowling balls that no one wanted anymore. We proceeded to drill holes in them and glue in spaghetti pvc pipe of different sizes. We ended up with ten of them that we sunk in our lakes and was catching crappie off them in 3 months. They show up really well on the sonar. Wish we had taken pics of them. We have made hundreds of different styles and sizes. The ones using wood or trees usually break down after a couple years. Generally we try to use hedge and refresh it once in a while with willow. Would like to try some bamboo but i don't want to plant it as it cannot be eradicated.
    Thats a great idea! Did you take any pictures?

6. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar

I sank this one last year. Glued the grey conduit in once I was on the water so those front buckets stuck up 10’. Take electrical coduit, cut the bell end off a foot down. Cement in bucket. Very little cement. When on the water glue the cut off 9’ in it. I do about 10 pieces a bucket along with the PEX that is in it and is like a huge porkipine. Easy to transport and no mess. I’ve done 4-5 different spots but they still seem to like wood better. Mainly sinking for crappie spots. When I checked this one with my underwater camera it had a few small bass on it but no crappie.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post

I sank this one last year. Glued the grey conduit in once I was on the water so those front buckets stuck up 10’. Take electrical coduit, cut the bell end off a foot down. Cement in bucket. Very little cement. When on the water glue the cut off 9’ in it. I do about 10 pieces a bucket along with the PEX that is in it and is like a huge porkipine. Easy to transport and no mess. I’ve done 4-5 different spots but they still seem to like wood better. Mainly sinking for crappie spots. When I checked this one with my underwater camera it had a few small bass on it but no crappie.
    Those are awesome. Have you tried tying some small willow branches to them. The willow will rot away quickly and in the mean time it seems to help draw the baitfish and crappie crappie faster for ours. We generally also scuff the pvc so algae seems to grow quicker on it.

8. Member

9. Member
    Thats pretty cool

10. Banned
    D.O.C 989 man those look nice.Ranger Jim Bell would probably like some to sink at Hillsdale lake.When I worked at the visitors center he always talked about making structure for the crappie.He showed me areas that he dropped cedars near shore.

11. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post

Thats awesome!!

Lots of good ideas. Thanks for sharing