Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutoy View Post
    Yes sir, that is a big part of the problem, but it's not just the locals. Toledo has always had the folks that are going to fillet anything that touches a hook, but the past few years since the #1 rating I've seen large coolers full of fillets heading back north. For some weird reason, last year there was a lot of MO, OH and MS registered boats on the lake.
    Saw it at Alpine last year, cooler with 4 lbers in it going to the cleaning shack for a trip back north. Go catch some dang crappie!!
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

Quote Originally Posted by Phnx Ed View Post
    Saw it at Alpine last year, cooler with 4 lbers in it going to the cleaning shack for a trip back north. Go catch some dang crappie!!
    Exactly, if meat fishing target crappie and small channel cat. Best eating fish there is.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WB View Post
    Exactly, if meat fishing target crappie and small channel cat. Best eating fish there is.
    +1. We do keep some spots because they hurt the largemouth population when they get out of hand. The spots don't get big here anyway. Other than that it's all crappie in the fryer

I have no problem with people keeping small bass. State of Texas has bag limits and if within the law more power to them. Just can't understand why you someone would chose a 4 pound bass over a 1 pound crappie. We have no spots and I personally do not eat bass.
    Last edited by WB; 12-30-2017 at 09:46 PM.

5. Member
    Yea. I don't get it either. The spots on rayburn are as clean as crappie. Almost just as good too. Not like a regular largemouth. Back in the day we kept what we caught and I suspect it's the same reason we see a lot of it today, we just didn't know or understand how it would effect the population. I really noticed after seeing it on rayburn when we first started fishing it. Fish were loaded in the coves by Powell and we caught them. At first it was just us and maybe a boat or two thru the day. After a few months more boats and more boats and the fish were just gone and those coves haven't ever recovered as far as I know. That's when I realized how it effects the fish.

After watching Major League Fishing last year I was thinking about going to Nacogdoches area for 5 or 6 days myself.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by khart View Post
    What about Ray Roberts, is it worth hitting end of Feb and March?
    No. It's a tough lake to fish and even tougher to run.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
    After watching Major League Fishing last year I was thinking about going to Nacogdoches area for 5 or 6 days myself.
    2 or 3 tops. It's very small and you will beat your boat up to get anywhere besides the small open spot. It's a cool little lake but it need some more years of timber die off before you can really get around. There's a small boat lame up each arm but trying to get out of that lane is hard.

9. Member
    Thanks for the reply. Can you share some details about tough to fish and tougher to run?

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    2 or 3 tops. It's very small and you will beat your boat up to get anywhere besides the small open spot. It's a cool little lake but it need some more years of timber die off before you can really get around. There's a small boat lame up each arm but trying to get out of that lane is hard.
    Naconiche is the more wooded lake, the newest. Nacogdoches is the older lake. They fished both. Nacogdoches looked like it had good vegetation, pads and hydrilla.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by khart View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Can you share some details about tough to fish and tougher to run?
    It could be very difficult to establish a pattern in 2-3 days time. There are no marked boat lanes north of Wolf island and with the exception of a few old pastures, it's a minefield of stumps for miles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12