Slip Resistant Stripping

I'm looking for a good product to put on the front of my trailer so I don't slip off while winching our boat up. I have had way to many soggy shoes during the cold months. Any one have any experience with a good tape or strip that will stay on even after getting wet?

2. Member

USA

Some have said that Skateboard grip tape is very good. I just got some type of grip tape at the hardware store.

most automtive parts stores carry some type of self adhesive anti slip strips. I bought some at Lowes that was for slick steps It was about 6" wide by 2 ' long.. then cut it to the size I needed -- Looks like black rough grit sand paper. Has stayed in place so far ----just make sure you prep the surface good prior to sticking it down.

Yeah hardware or auto parts store will sell something with a sand type finish, get this over a chunk of rubber... also notice that the edges of the sheet are rounded. If you cut the sheet to put on the trailer frame like I did, incorporate a rounded edge because a square corner is much more likely to start to peel up.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Lowe's used to sell rolls of anti-slip material. It was rough sand like material on top and had an adhesive backing, covered by a strip of paper that you peel off. They used to carry it in both white and black. It is almost the exact same width as my Ranger Trailers were. I put this stuff on everyone of them. Put some down on the top of the tongue so you can walk back the tongue to get to the winch handle. Then, put some along the Port side of the trailer from the tongue about 1/3 of the way to the driver's console. This way, you can stand on that side and also walk back that side to hook-up the winch strap on a super shallow ramp.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    most automtive parts stores carry some type of self adhesive anti slip strips. I bought some at Lowes that was for slick steps It was about 6" wide by 2 ' long.. then cut it to the size I needed -- Looks like black rough grit sand paper. Has stayed in place so far ----just make sure you prep the surface good prior to sticking it down.
    Thats what I used.

7. Member
    Bought some from Home Depot-3M Brand- about 2" wide roll with a peel off backing. Put it on some 2"X12"X6'6" wooden ramps in 2007. They have many miles on them, have spent storage time out in the weather as well as inside, still stuck on the wood and still works good.

Sounds good, thanks for all the input,

I've had 3M brand anti-slip tape on the front of the trailer, and a few feet along the top of each side channel - been on there since 1996!
    Be sure to thoroughly clean and degrease the area first. I also heated up the metal and the grip tape a bit with a hair dryer to ensure adhesion.

Another method is to tape off the area where you want to have the "non skid" surface. Apply a heavy wet coat of paint, and then sprinkle a heavy layer of playbox sand over the wet paint. After the paint has dried overnight, brush or blow the excess sand off of the surface. Remove the tape. A smooth layer of sand will be adhered to the surface. Apply a coat or two of paint over the sand that is adhered to the surface. You can get creative and write letters & numbers, or different shapes or original designs when taping it off. This method works good and lasts a long time, but is more time consuming than self adhering tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
    Another method is to tape off the area where you want to have the "non skid" surface. Apply a heavy wet coat of paint, and then sprinkle a heavy layer of playbox sand over the wet paint. After the paint has dried overnight, brush or blow the excess sand off of the surface. Remove the tape. A smooth layer of sand will be adhered to the surface. Apply a coat or two of paint over the sand that is adhered to the surface. You can get creative and write letters & numbers, or different shapes or original designs when taping it off. This method works good and lasts a long time, but is more time consuming than self adhering tape.