Steve Goncalves

Grinding in reverse 97 Venom 225

Installed a rebuilt lower unit last month and everything has been good. I launch the boat yesterday and when i put it in reverse all it did was grind. Got it home and notice when i put the shift lever all the way in reverse the linkage hit the block. I also noticed the shift cable adjustment knob was not centered. What do i need to do? Adjust shift cable knob to the center and rotate my shift shaft 1 turn in? Thanks for any advise.
    2000 Ranger 522SVX W/ 2000 Mercury 250XB
    U.S. Air Force Retired

2. Steve Goncalves
    Gonna try this after work.

Grab the shift rod and place it in neutral, by either pulling it up or pushing it down while spinning the prop shaft. Then measure from the deck of the lower to the center of the hole for the shift pin. Adjust the rod to get 21 15/16" +/- 1/32". Once you get that set reinstall the case and bolt it up. Remove the shift cable from its clamp and the linkage pin both are 3/8", attach the shift pin to the shift shaft and move the linkage between F-N-R while spinning the prop shaft. Bring it back to neutral. Attach the cable to the linkage and secure it. then adjust the trunion knob so it slips into the cradle with out binding, then secure it.
    U.S. Air Force Retired

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzz View Post
    Gonna try this after work.

Grab the shift rod and place it in neutral, by either pulling it up or pushing it down while spinning the prop shaft. Then measure from the deck of the lower to the center of the hole for the shift pin. Adjust the rod to get 21 15/16" +/- 1/32". Once you get that set reinstall the case and bolt it up. Remove the shift cable from its clamp and the linkage pin both are 3/8", attach the shift pin to the shift shaft and move the linkage between F-N-R while spinning the prop shaft. Bring it back to neutral. Attach the cable to the linkage and secure it. then adjust the trunion knob so it slips into the cradle with out binding, then secure it.
    That should work.

4. Steve Goncalves
    I noticed my trunion adjustment was all the way back causing the shift lever to hit the block when going in reverse also. I'll center it this time
    U.S. Air Force Retired

5. Steve Goncalves
    Well i dropped the LU and set the shift shaft and re-installed LU. Got it all setup and still won't lock in reverse. Take LU back off and notice when i push the shaft down it won't lock in reverse. I pull it up and it locks in fwd. What could be the issue? I can feel the gears barely touching when i push down on the shaft and rotate the prop. Thanks
    U.S. Air Force Retired

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Time to give Eddie Pope a shoutl. aka Gearcaseman

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!