Oh No...Trailer Brake Reservoir filled with foreign substance

Hello,

I opened the lid to my brake fluid reservoir on my trailer (a 2013 nitro z9) and when i got it opened it was filled with what appeared to look like crushed and ground up peanuts. I kid you not. I dont think it has ever been opened i am guessing but what is this substance? It is a little moist and I have no clue what it is. Could this be from water getting in the brake fluid? somehow decomposing it into a powder?

Any advice or input would be great. I have photos but cant get them uploaded as I am sure it would help to see. I can email a few if needed.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Derek

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Rust would be my first guess, though on a 2013 that would be surprising. Good news is that even if you have to replace everything it isn’t crazy expensive.

I think I’d try to get all of the crud out and disconnect the line at the rear of the actuator and try flushing it out with brake fluid to see if the master cylinder works. Follow the process for bleeding the master cylinder which depends on what actuator you have.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Thanks CatFan. I will do just that and see what happens...

DF

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrancom View Post
    Hello,

I opened the lid to my brake fluid reservoir on my trailer (a 2013 nitro z9) and when i got it opened it was filled with what appeared to look like crushed and ground up peanuts. . .............Derek
    Derek, I'd say it sucks to be you. Bad break (pardon the pun).

I've seen that on hydraulic brakes many times on bikes but not on one so new. You'll need to disassemble the master cylinder and flush all the lines. I would definitely replace ALL the rubber parts including the cap seal. I'm assuming it uses Dot 3 and that stuff is bad for just sitting around and it absorbs water.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret