'97 Mariner 200 EFI cooling system question

I have a 1997 Mercury Mariner 200HP EFI, serial#OG571537. My question is- using the muffs for cooling water I am not getting water flow to the pee hole. I have rebuilt the poppet valve, changed both thermostats, new water pump installed, checked all cooling lines running from the thermostats, poppet valve, and down. There is water running through the engine as it is coming out above the cavitation plate. Checked the operation of the thermostats in hot water and they open as they should around 143 degrees. I do notice that the starboard head is getting warmer than the port head. I had pulled the heads and checked for anything unusual, but found nothing. As a test, I took out the starboard thermostat and put the cap back on. Ran the engine and the water flow was great. Put the thermostat back in and the flow quit.
    Any suggestions on what I could look for next?
    I do let it run for 5-10 minutes but still no water discharge. I can pinch the hose below the pee hole and do get some discharge. I have back flushed the thermostat holes, ran water up the water pump tube in the mid section. Blew air into hoses. Seems like not enough water pressure to cause the water to exit through the pee hole. When you install the impeller is it correct to turn the drive shaft clockwise to orient the impeller in the water pump housing?
    Last edited by Sunny Jim; 12-25-2017 at 07:55 PM.

2. Member
    Restricted p tube

Did you run it long enough for the engine to build up enough heat to open the thermostats? It's obvious the pee tube isn't restricted if it flowed well with the thermostat removed. Sounds like it's just hasn't warmed up.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

4. Fishing is a Passion
    This sounds correct, some times 5-10 minutes
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

It does take a few minutes on my 200 EFI. I make sure I have water pressure on the gauge and I wait till it pees.