Minnkota Trolling Mitor Quit Working

Hey everyone so I recently installed a new Minnkota Foretrex 80# on the from of the boat. I have used it 3 times in the last couple weeks since I have installed it and it has worked flawlessly. This morning I went out and while I had the motor on 100% traveling maybe 100 yds the motor stopped working. I figured it must have kicked the breaker but when I checked it the breaker wasn't popped. When I got home from the lake I checked to see if I have power at the plug and only 1 power wire has 12v and the other doesn't. Unfortunately I ran out of time to do any further investigating but I do know both batteries are perfectly fine. I know I need to expose the circui breaker panel and check both sides of the breaker to see if the breaker went out and I was curious to know if anyone else has came across this same problem with upgrading from the original 67 lbs that came on my boat. Any advice would be appreciated. Just hope it didn't damage the motor.

I also read the Minkota recommends to unplug the trolling motor while
    charging. Does anyone else do this? If the off switch is used does that work too?

2. Member
    Since you said "only one power wire has 12 volts" you may have a 4 wire system. If so, you should have two breakers. You probably already found that out. Since it's a newer installation, check the wiring inside the male plug. You also might check the magnetic switch adjustment procedure at Jones Trolling motors.

3. Member
    I do have 4 wires at the bow behind where the plug is located. My original motor had a red wire black wire and white wire so when I rewired the plug i put the new red and black wires where the old red and black wires were located. If this is wrong please let me know. I also looked at the magnetic switch when it stopped and I am not sure if the switch is bad or not. After removing the foot switch cover should the magnet part be easily depressed or pretty hard so that it doesn't move? Also Thanks for the advice I will call John jones tomorrow and speak with them.

4. Member
    So I was was able to get out and do some testing this morning and determined the breaker only has 12v on one side. So now I need to replace the breaker. Both batteries have breakers and per Minnkota they recommend 60 amp breakers so I will replace both with new breakers and keep a spare and get a voltmeter on the boat too just incase. Wiring is also 6awg so I shouldn't have any problems after that. I hope anyways.

5. Member
    Wiring gremlins got me I believe. Still having issues. I also found the 12-24v plug was melted slightly when I looked at the connections.

6. Member
    Might have figured it out. When I removed the old motor it had the three wires and when I reinstalled the black and red I didn't tighten down the loose connection where the white wire was located and created a short. The short got hot and just started to melt the plastic and covered the metal therefore losing the 24 volts. Once I tightened that down it works fine.

7. Member
    The plug has a jumper in it to create the 24 volts. When you tightened the loose screw, you tightened the jumper. Glad you figured it out.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramem52 View Post
    Might have figured it out. When I removed the old motor it had the three wires and when I reinstalled the black and red I didn't tighten down the loose connection where the white wire was located and created a short. The short got hot and just started to melt the plastic and covered the metal therefore losing the 24 volts. Once I tightened that down it works fine.
    Good troubleshooting, unfortunately there was some damage to the Marinco plug. If you can see melted and damaged parts, if I was working on it I would replace the plug, strip the wires to the trolling motor until I got to wire that wasn't damaged. That part of the circuit carries full amperage. Tight connections there are vital, if there is loose or burnt components, the gremlins will visit you again.