Registering trailer?

So some of you may remember my first post here. I accepted a job in the Dayton area and found a nice home in Xenia. On my last trip up there I stopped in the BMV to see what all I needed to register my boat and truck up here. They told me I need a weight without the boat of my trailer. Well how in the world will I do that? I am 22, moving up there alone. Xenia isn't real close to any boat ramp big enough for a TR21 I don't think. Anyone have any ideas?
    2013 Legend 211R
    2017 Ford F-150 Ecoboost

I would think that your Statement of Origin for the trailer should have the weight of the trailer listed on it somewhere.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I would think that your Statement of Origin for the trailer should have the weight of the trailer listed on it somewhere.
    It should but I do not have it. I am I believe the 4th owner of the boat and the trailer manufacturer is out of business.
    2013 Legend 211R
    2017 Ford F-150 Ecoboost

4. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I went a gravel / mulch place that let me drive my boat & trailer on a scale.
    They weighed it and deducted the weight of the boat.
    A gravel pit may weigh it for you, or call a dealer and ask where they may know of.
    Find the specs to your boat at the link below and print it to take with you to show boat weight.

This place has specs ALL boats ever made.
    http://boatspecs.iboats.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 97tr21 View Post
    It should but I do not have it. I am I believe the 4th owner of the boat and the trailer manufacturer is out of business.
    That makes it harder! Fidgetcranker has a good idea that you should look into.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    there are 2-3 places in xenia with scales but would have to leave boat at lake somewhere to weight it- there are several of us on here in xenia area that can help if needed likely--
    south shore marine is a bbc sponsor, call them and see if they have any advice
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    i just looked mine up and it says 875 lbs for my trailer which is about the same as yours I would guess?? mine is single axle so yours might be a couple hundred more??
    Last edited by mactlman; 12-26-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    I've done this a couple times now...they just need to determine if your trailer is over 4,000 lbs. If it is, then you get a commercial tag and pay a few bucks more a year. You can weight the boat and trailer together. All they need to see at the BMV is a weigh slip from a certified scale with a weight on it, that's it. If you are weighing a 97 TR21 with the trailer, you are well under 4,000 lbs. I bought my 99 TR21 from KY and weighed them together.

9. Member
    Go somewhere that has scales - they'll give you a slip of paper and ask you the weight of the trailer. They'll write it on there for you and you take that back to the DMV.

I had the exact same thing happen - went to the DMV to get plates......girl said I needed to get the trailer weighed. I laughed and said how the hell am I supposed to do that with a BOAT in WINTER??!! She said I don't know, next. Ohhh I was pissed!!

So I called a buddy as I left there and he said to do what I said above. I went 5 min down the road to the place that has a scale, WITHOUT the boat and trailer mind you - and the lady asked me what the trailer weighed. I said I dunno - 400-5oolbs. So she wrote down 440lbs and handed me back the slip. I think it cost me like $10.

So 15 min later I stroll back into the DMV - walked right up to the same girl and handed her the paper. She glared at me, not knowing how I did it - let alone that quick, but couldn't say a damn word. 15min later I walked out with my plates.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ah yes.. Our wonderful DMV..

I bought my new Ranger in October, went to get my boat registration in November and the OHDNR had collected all the equipment from the vendors. You had to go to the DNR office or wait till early 2018! It was right after Thanksgiving and we had that one really nice day - all i wanted to do was drop in Portage for a couple hours one last time before bedding her down for winter and my 30days was up - so I did it anyway! And I caught two nice 3lbers :-)
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

11. FX210
    Welcome to Ohio! Tenn Tech Alumni 89'