Thread: Truck camper

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Truck camper

Thinking about a truck camper so I can boondock and tow my boat. Couple questions.....

I will need a bigger truck as a 1500 would be overloaded. Should I go to a 2500 or 3500(non dually) for a smaller camper around 1600 dry weight? I’m guessing around 2000 lbs wet plus towing a 4000 lb boat rig.
    I typically lean toward Dodge.

Gas or diesel?? I have been told the newer big trucks are very close in fuel mileage so I’m leaning toward gas for lower maintenance cost. Is there any reason for the diesel? If I go to a 3500 I believe it’s standard on the Dodge.

Last question... Can I leave the camper on the truck and launch the boat without issue? I don’t want to take it off while on a trip, only want to remove it when I am not on a trip.

Just starting to consider so figured I’d see if there’s some experts here.....

2. Member
    I'm wanting to do the same thing. I had a truck camper at one time but could not pull the boat and haul the camper. Look at the ones that pop up, I really liked the one I had.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

3. Banned
    Buddy of mine has a F250 power stroke with a pop up truck camper and pulls a 18' Lund,he launches the boat with camper on truck no problem.

Diesels are much better on fuel than 2500/3500 gassers and would strongly suggest diesel. The have a 2016 ram 2500 Cummins and with this truck I would suggest the 1600$ air suspension upgrade.

You our can leave the camper in the box.

no load in my 4x4 crew cab Cummins is never worse than 17 mpg at 80mph. You can not get close with hemi, yes add a camper and a boat it’s going to drop a lot but it will be 2 mpg better than gas and with that your tranny won’t hunt for power, just make more boost and go, it’s crazy. As far as maintaining a diesel, ram advertisement states 15000k oil/ fuel filter lifespan wiTh the oil as well. A hemi worked that hard is a 5k change, so 2.5x the cost on the diesel let’s you change at 12,500miles at the same price and your under the requirement.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    Thanks for the input. So the diesel has oil change interval at 15000. I would have never guessed it was over 5000 mile interval. That changes my opinion. I had the dealer telling me the gas mileage vs diesel mileage was a wash with the newer diesels due to restrictive equipment. It’s good to hear that’s false. I remember when diesels all got over 20 mpg.
    Would a 3500 non dually be overkill? Wondering if the 3500 would need air suspension? Price is very similar but the 2500 has coil rear springs for a better unloaded ride and the 3500 has leafs.
    Last edited by perfect-storm; 12-25-2017 at 07:33 PM.

6. Banned
    A 3500 dually will not be overkill.It would be the best if you wanted to upgrade to a heavier truck camper.I know a guy that has a Lance truck camper with a slide out,he has a F450.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    250s are often pushed hard by truck campers. 400lbs for tongue weight plus fuel and passengers takes a big chunk of your payload.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    I have a gmc 3500 dually and a diesel. Cant believe the power. Especially in mountains. I haul a lance 992 and tow a 1875 lund impact. I launch and retrieve all the time loaded. The diesel is not necessary, the power is nice but it can be a pain at times. Sometimes I have to just drive it for no reason except that it needs a regen. The truck camper really is the way to go. The diesel is awesome but it really is hard to justify it except to say i really wanted it. If you were going to use it every day it may pay for itself. But for most it is just because you want it.

9. Member
    I won’t get a dually but a 3500 single tire is possible. If the diesel mileage is significantly better than the gas mileage while unloaded and the maintenance interval is longer, may be worth considering. One thing I was told is the diesel lowers payload due to the motor weight. Tough decision........ I would love to get 3-5 mpg better unloaded. My friend bought a 2500 4x4 with a 6.4 hemi. Tons of power but mileage mixed driving is 14-15 I think.
    I won’t want a big camper, but 1600-2000 lbs is a lot of weight on top. I would also get 4x4 since I’ll be pulling that much weight up boat ramps...
    Last edited by perfect-storm; 12-25-2017 at 08:30 PM.

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by perfect-storm View Post
    I won’t get a dually but a 3500 single tire is possible. If the diesel mileage is significantly better than the gas mileage while unloaded and the maintenance interval is longer, may be worth considering. One thing I was told is the diesel lowers payload due to the motor weight. Tough decision........ I would love to get 3-5 mpg better unloaded. My friend bought a 2500 4x4 with a 6.4 hemi. Tons of power but mileage mixed driving is 14-15 I think.
    I won’t want a big camper, but 1600-2000 lbs is a lot of weight on top. I would also get 4x4 since I’ll be pulling that much weight up boat ramps...
    Remember that 3-5MPG improvement over 14MPG is 20 to 35% so you have to figure fuel cost difference. Right now, Diesel runs about 20% more than gas, meaning worst case your cost per mile would be the same. As MPG goes up the savings show up.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Cummins rams have 15,000 mile intervals, I do it less than that. Also the cheepest diesel oil is as good as the better gas engine oils. I think the ford and Chevy diesels only go 12k... cenex road master fuel sure seems to keep the filters looking much better than random fuel.

Diesel fuel has 22-26% more energy than gasoline, it does cost .20 more but it has more energy. That equates to better mpg even though the truck is higher and heavier. Get a 4x4 of course. And yes a srw 3500 is better if you know your adding a box camper, there is still an air assist suspension option I don’t know if it’s as important in a 3500 but I know the first 1.5-2” of my fear is soft and it rides nearly as well as my 1500’s (in a he rear,empty) tire pressure sucks since it makes everything so rigid.

Ps, it’s -15*f and at 60 mph on my way to work I was breaking 20 mph and the Cummins started right up without being plugged in.

13. Member
    I would not get the air assist option if you plan on consistently carrying load. It makes it extremely difficult to add StableLoads, adjust the leaf pack, etc to tune your springs to the load. I bought my 2014 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins explicitly to haul my Lance 855 Camper while towing a boat. It worked extremely well while I had the camper. I added Stableloads to be able to engage the overload springs 100% when the camper was on and the truck sat close to level with the ~4000# load in the bed. Backing up a trailer was a little more difficult due to the width of the camper but if you were able to arc your way into the water so you could see the boat in the mirror it was fine.

If the majority of your driving will be commuting rather than hauling, I'd use that to make my decision on gas/diesel rather than the camping. If you will be doing a ton of hauling then obviously the diesel is where it's at.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

14. Member
    Thank you for all of the advice, it’s very helpful.

85% of my use will be weekend towing my boat and obviously I can do that with my 1500. My towing is usually 60-80 or more miles each way once a week. Would be further and more frequent if I didn’t have to drive back the same day tired. I don’t have a camper yet but have been exploring my options. I’m definitely leaning toward a 6’ box model with cabover and small with an inside shower. No frills, just simple. That said, I’m not sure if I’ll use the camper every weekend or if it will be once or twice a month. I’m hoping for time to use it a lot. I just know my 1500 won’t carry it.
    Does anyone dry camp or camp completely self contained at the boat ramp? Or does everyone go to a campground? I know longer stays require a campground but how about one or two nights?

15. Member
    Take a look at the Northstar 650 SC. That may work for your outings. I'm looking at the Northstar Liberty for the same reason but my truck is a F250. Good luck!!

16. Banned
    Some people use campgrounds.My buddy has a truck camper he stays in a NFS campground (Elk Creek) at Blue Mesa Res. He mostly dry camps.Sometimes if cold he gets electric hookup.Its mostly Fri. & Sat. When he goes elk and deer hunting he has a portable solar panel setup for longer stays.

17. Member
    Do not get the gas motor. You will regret it. Go a look at resale value on the 2500/3500 trucks with cummins in them and ones with the hemi. That should make the difference itself. I recommend getting a long bed if you’re going with the single wheel. My truck is deleted and tuned and I get 18-22 no load and 16-20 pulling boat. I change my oil/fuel filters and rotate tires every 15k. I guarantee you will get better mileage and longer life out of the 6.7 cummins than the hemi. It will hate life with a giant box catching all of the wind and a boat. I have a 2013 2500 and I put 1-4k on it weekly depending on time of year and it never skips a beat.
    2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxBassfisher View Post
    Do not get the gas motor. You will regret it. Go a look at resale value on the 2500/3500 trucks with cummins in them and ones with the hemi. That should make the difference itself. I recommend getting a long bed if you’re going with the single wheel. My truck is deleted and tuned and I get 18-22 no load and 16-20 pulling boat. I change my oil/fuel filters and rotate tires every 15k. I guarantee you will get better mileage and longer life out of the 6.7 cummins than the hemi. It will hate life with a giant box catching all of the wind and a boat. I have a 2013 2500 and I put 1-4k on it weekly depending on time of year and it never skips a beat.
    The Cummins is an $8800 option over the 6.4. NADA gives you $8000 credit for it on my 2014 3500. So it's a wash. Buy a truck for what you need, not for what the next guy needs.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxBassfisher View Post
    I recommend getting a long bed if you’re going with the single wheel.
    What is your reasoning behind this? Not that it’s out of the question, just looks like it’ll be a pain in the butt to park when I’m not towing (crew cab and long bed).

20. Member
    The long beds ride better and you can get a larger camper which if you have a spouse or the buddies that will want to stay with you instead of the back seat of their truck, it’ll make all the difference. Especially if you ever tow anything else. Way better than the short bed. I will be upgrading next year to a long bed for the added space and larger camper capabilities. Yes it can be a bit more difficult to park in tight spaces but so is any 2500/3500.
    2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast