Thread: Truck camper

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I launch my boat with my truck camper on the truck most of the time. I only take it off when in the same location for more then 3 days or if I will need the truck for a lot of driving around town. The only issue I have is when it is colder and the ramp doesn't have a dock I can step on from the boat. Then you would want somebody to pull you out while you stay dry in the boat.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

2. Member
    I went through a similar thought process a few years ago. I bought 2500 long bed diesel for the idea of getting a slide in camper and pull the bass boat. When it came time to shop for campers I realized most of the campers we liked were way to heavy for the 2500. I probably could have done some modifications to the truck but decided to up grade to a 3500. We went from wanting a slide in camper to a 5th wheel. More than likely I will not double tow unless we go close to home like Piney campground on KY Lake or somewhere similar. If I were you now I would decide on what camper you want then get the size truck needed go carry it and pull your boat.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF View Post
    If I were you now I would decide on what camper you want then get the size truck needed go carry it and pull your boat.
    Best advice ever. Tons of guys carrying too much camper on a 2500 with all kinds of mods to force it to work when a stock 3500 would have carried the load just fine.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

4. Member
    Thinking of a small camper, no slides, for a 6.5’ bed. Hard side or pop up is yet undecided. No toilet or maybe a cassette type as I don’t want to deal with the black water tank. Shower, A/C, small fridge and small microwave are absolute must haves. Don’t need cook tops or dinette. Otherwise I’m still educating myself. Thank you for all the replies so far.
    Can you charge boat batteries off the vehicle? I saw that Ram offers 2 alternators on the hd trucks as an option.

5. Member
    Lugging around a tiny cassette is way more of a PITA than dumping a black tank. Plus the black tank will hold 4x what any cassette will. I thought the same thing about cassettes but then realized they were tiny and I'd have to lug it into a bathroom to dump it. Your house has a sewer cleanout somewhere and you can just dump there when you get home. I did that all the time at my office after a trip.

About the rest of your list, your list of don't wants will be included before your wants. Almost everything is going to have a cooktop and a dinette. Fridge comes next and then shower as you go up the price scale. Any use of a microwave or AC will require you to be plugged in or using a generator.

You can charge boat batteries off the truck but it will require a Yandina Trollbridge or Stealth charger in the boat and at that point you will stay fairly well charged up anyway from running the outboard. If you are going to be using the microwave and AC you will have 110v power anyway so you can just charge from the plug at the site or the generator.

If I were you I'd head over to truckcampermagazine.com and read every how to on there. It seems like you are just getting into this and a little reading will clarify a lot of your questions.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You folks looking for a simple truck camper that isn't too heavy might want to look at Capri.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    No shortage of opinions here. First, I notice that you live in Florida. That's about as flat as you can get.

I just replaced my 2001 3500DRW with a2017 DRW. I live in Comufornia. A lot of flat land followed by a steep mountain climb describes my typical trip with a camper.

I have two camper configurations. 1. a 4000# lance with a near #4k# boat, and a 32 ft fifth wheel with the same boat behind it, (yes, 74.5 ft). I haven't used the 2017 but once, so far, so I'll tell you about the 2001. BTW, 2001, 6 speed, with 700 lbs trq(with add an box), 2017 ansan auto with 900 lbs trq (completely stock).

We have a hill between Bakersfield and Los Angeles called the grapevine. It is a steep climb from 500ft, to 4000+ ft in about 5 minutes. With my lance and boat, I never had to shift out of overdrive to maintain 60mph. The hill is steep enough that cars drop below 60. With my 5th wheel and boat(16,000+ lbs), I had to drop to 5th to maintain 60. In both cases, friends with gas, without campers faded into the distance behind.

Gas milage: my 2001 3500 would average 12 mpg with the 5th wheel/boat combo, 14 with the lance/boat combo. Both at 60-65 mph. (my 2017 doesn't look like is going to do as well)

Diesel Engines are known for long life. Really, if you aren't going to put more than 200k miles on your truck, then that isn't a real factor in making a discussion. Todays gassers will go 200k.

So, I would say that unless money is no object, since you live in flat land Florida, you don't need 900lbs of trq, and it will take years and a lot of miles to justify the expense of a diesel. If you have the money and want to spend it, you will love the diesel, don't even hesitate.

As for 2500 vs 3500. The 2500 might get 1 mph more because of the lighter weight, but you will never have to upgrade from a 3500 if you buy a bigger camper.

8. Member
    Maybe you could get a just out of warranty 3500 SRW and install a supercharger and improved exhaust set up with the money saved on a new Hemi 6.4?
    Peace:Via superior firepower.

9. Member

Our Setup and Experiences

To the OP,

I have had 7 total truck camper over the years, each year they seemed to get bigger..... LOL Owning a truck camper has become a way of life for my wife and myself. No more hotels, no more sketchy rest stops, or bathroom stops, and we stay pretty much wherever you can drive the truck. The creature comforts are beyond anything you can imagine at least for us.

Our last trip was to Rayburn, we spent 13 days in the camper, between the drive and the fishing at Rayburn. It was like being at home. It's awesome to just get up and go, and not have to worry about anything.

That being said, it's not just as simple as buying a truck and camper and loading up the camper and off you go. Keep in mind I have been doing the truck camper thing for YEARS, so I have got the process and the setup down. You have to think through how you are going to use the setup, and with MY particular setup, I had to make some upgrades for driving comforts. Our Host Mammoth is a behemoth. It tall, it’s heavy but it’s comfortable. I made some suspension upgrades to allow for a betting ride both in towing and not towing.

The upgrades were as follows:
    · Added Torklift Superhitch
    · Added Torklift upper and lower Stableload
    · Added Torklift 42” Supertruss
    · Added Pac Spring Airbags
    · Added Airlift wireless remote system, with external air tank and ARB compressor. (yes it can be done)
    · Added BigWig 1 5/16” sway bar. (The link mounts has to be fabricated to fit with the Torklift Superhitch, not a bolt on)
    · Added Continuous duty solenoid 200amp for charging the house batteries from the truck while underway.
    · Added front hitch, for custom fabricated front hitch basket to hold dual Honda 2000 EU generator’s and 5 gal gas can for continues use for summer months when 110 is needed for AC.

That being said, this setup for us was perfect, I either tow my Phoenix PHX921 or my Rockcrawler. Towing either works out great.

Now the challenge is the weight police. Many are using a 450 or even a 550 for towing this type of load. I’m not, and the weight police are probably having a fit while I’m posting this. I have towed this setup all over the US, this summer we left home in AZ and spent 2 weeks in ID camping and fishing, zero towing problems, and zero driving problems. My truck stops safely, it has an exhaust brake, and it has more than enough power to stay up with the posted speed limits. When the road conditions are sketchy, I adjust my driving accordingly.

We love out setup, and we plan on spending our retirement years fishing through the country, and this setup is perfect for it.

I’ve attached some pictures for you review.

If you have any questions, ask away. However I’m not getting into any pissing matches with anyone about weights. Sorry.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by therobzilla; 01-29-2018 at 01:43 PM.

10. Member
    Wow, that’s a beautiful rig. Waaaaay more than I’m planning. I have not picked my camper yet, thus, no HD truck either. The camper will be for me 95% of the time with an occasional trip with my wife. That said, I’m still considering a lighter camper that fits a 6 1/2’ bed. So far really liking the Capri Retreat or Four Wheel Hawk. Couple others I’d consider but biggest question is still pop up, or hard side? I’ve read the good and bad on both. Heck, if money was no object.....lol........I’d get an Earth Cruizer GZL 400 and just leave it on all the time. I plan to camp for fishing 25+ times a year.
    I would really like to have a camper with a wet weight below 2000 ish. Could get away with minimal mods on a 2500 or just “over truck” and get the 3500 SRW and may not need much. Am I off on that thought?
    Anyone here tried the Dry Flush toilet that vacuum bags your ? Could be a solution to the black tank or cassette.

11. Member
    A 2500 with a smaller style camper will work out excellent, Haven't seen the Capri Retreat or the Four Wheel Hawk in person however looking at the website, these look like great campers. the 6.5' bed size is 1630 lbs, I'm sure that's dry, but still, that's not bad at all.

So pop-up vs. hard side. Let me weight in on my thoughts on this decision. I had a Pop-up for on season, that was enough for me. MY personal challenges were the following, keep in mind I live in AZ and it rarely rains here, also keep in mind it was years ago when I tried the pop-up like over 10 years ago, but the season I had the pop-up this is what I found out.

* When I was camping with it, when it rained it still was very humid in the camper, felt like we were camping in a tent still.
    * When it was cold out, still had to have sleeping bags and the heater cranked up, l'm not talking a little chilly, really cold.
    * It was somewhat of a pain to make sure the canvas wall always tucked in before you closed it up.
    * It leaked when you closed it up, after using it.
    * It was just as expensive as when I could have purchased a basic hard sided camper for.

Overall if the weather was good, it was a fun camper, it was easy to put in the bed, and quick to setup, but if the weather was anything but mild to perfect, it was like staying in a tent to ME?

If I lived in FL still, I use to when I was younger, St, Pete/Clearwater, I would not be able to justify doing a pop-up with canvas, the mold and constant rain would ruin a pop-up in my mind.

IMHO I would be looking for a hard side camper like you are looking at. I promise you, depending on how your wife likes to sleep in a tent, that's what a pop-up is like..... LOL Beds are more comfortable than the floor...

I would not be concerned at all about weight on a basic hard side or soft side with a 2500, as long as you don't get too crazy on the camper type, what you are looking at would work perfect with a 2500.

12. Member
    Interesting input on the pop up. Hadn’t considered the humidity aspect. Mostly considered the pop up to save fuel/wind drag. Maybe to leave it on the truck for longer periods of time since it’s a little lighter. I am not a tent camper, never have been. I can do it, just not a favorite for regular use. That said, I guess I’m narrowed down to a hard side being more likely.

13. Member
    Just something to think about! Every situation is different. But the humidity factor is absolutely something that you needs to consider. Or the amount of rainfall FL the SE receives.

14. Member
    We went with the Lance 825 and pull it with my 2012 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins. The only mod i have added to the truck is airbags. My wife and i have driven many miles in it and it is very comfortable. It pulls my Allison and my 21 ft Blazer bass boats great.

Attached Images Attached Images

15. Member
    Ok now I have another question. The Lance 825 is 1832 lbs dry with no options. They claim 2150 wet......That’s light compared to how Truck Camper Magazine says to figure wet weight......... That said, the Ram 2500 with a 6.7 and upgraded 10,000 lb GVWR has a payload around 2400 lbs. I’m assuming yours has the coil rear springs. Add gas and trailer tongue weight and your over weight before you get in the truck. (Not you personally...lol).
    So here’s where I get confused. I would like a 2500 but thought I’d have to over truck with a 3500 to not go over listed payload, even with the “so called” 1/2 ton capable campers. What are your thoughts on this? Did you order any special payload package on your 2500 truck? Are the airbags factory or aftermarket?

16. Member
    You're going to be over the published payload with pretty much any real hard side camper on a 3/4 ton. That's just the way it is. If you want to carry it without mods, get the 3500 SRW as I did with my 2014. If you want to start having to add bags and stuff do the 2500. I did buy a set of Torklift Stableloads when the truck was new. They cam in to engage the overload springs 100% of the time. I found that when new, the camper didn't weigh enough to get the leafs on the overloads and I could feel it bouncing off of them on bumps. over 3000# not on the overloads. haha

You are going to have 500# of crap in the camper before you know it packed to roll with kitchen stuff, food, clothes, fishing gear, etc.

Here is my 2014 Ram 3500 with my Lance 855 on it. The 855 is about 1000# heavier than the 825. This is with stock suspension.

This is the heaviest load I've rolled with the camper on. That Uhaul trailer and jeep are about 5000# and my truck is loaded for a two week trip to Colorado with the family. I trailered the jeep over 2000 miles home after buying it out there and the truck did absolutely fine with that load.

17. Member
    One other thing. Notice that the 825 is only 86" wide and the Lance 850 is 96" wide. The 850 is the long bed version of the 855 I had. The only difference is the bath configuration. That additional 10" is substantial when in the camper but add significantly to the weight. The larger campers have storage in the overhead bed area and a much larger more comfortable bath and dinette. I spent many nights alone in mine on fly fishing trips to the Colorado national forests and wouldn't have wanted much smaller when holed up on a rainy day. Being able to sprawl out of that dinette and watch movies is super nice.

Also, I had a ATC Cougar (similar to 4wheel campers) and it was nice, but it really is a glorified tent on wheels. Had a heater and cooking area but that's it. I would not have wanted to be stuck in there on a rainy day. It was fine keeping the rain out however. Understand that the vast majority of those do not have AC and are not capably of having them either so that is a non starter in your or my area. I used mine for Rocky Mountain trips so it was fine.

18. Member
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma

Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

19. Member
    Thanks everyone for the awesome advice. Definitely now decided on a hard side. The 2500 vs 3500 srw decision is still open.
    Hey rlb8s, that’s a bit more camper than I’m planning on but it is a great looking unit. Although the 2500 vs 3500 decision is open, I’m definitely sticking to a 6 1/2’ bed simply because I have been in both and with the crew cab, the long bed just makes the truck too big for me in daily, non camping use.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perfect-storm View Post
    I’m definitely sticking to a 6 1/2’ bed simply because I have been in both and with the crew cab, the long bed just makes the truck too big for me in daily, non camping use.
    I used my 3500 as a daily driver for about 3 years, but I had an assigned parking spot at work and only a 12 minute commute. Now I am at 45 min on the commute and open parking in a parking garage so I have a little honda as the daily driver. My truck is back to being for weekends and fishing. The long bed is nice for laying fishing rods flat or having the extra cargo space,but if/when I sell my 05 GMC 3500 I would most likely replace w/ a standard bed 2500 or maybe even the Ram echo diesel.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma

Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast