Thread: Truck camper

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I shopped a couple of years for something similar to what you are looking forward to. I had a very limited budget so I was looking at a used camper and truck. Ended up getting an older pop up with a dry weight of 1480 and a 2004 extended cab silverado hd shortbed with a 6.0 at the end of last winter. I am pulling a stratos 285 behind this and the set up serves me well for camping which is 3 or so times a year I will go 30 or so miles to KY lake and the one time a year I will drive the 3 hours to Pickwick. Pulling the boat without the camper is almost like it is not there.
    I would agree with previous posters that if I was camping more often and taking longer trips I would seriously look at a diesel.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

2. Member
    I have a 2005 crew cab long bed GMC 3500 single wheel truck that I use to carry my truck camper while pulling the boat. A truck camper is ideal for fishing since you can drop it at the campsite while using your truck to get around town and to launch/recover your boat. I recommend making sure you purchase a truck camper you can use while it is off the truck without having to carry additional supports. I've owned a lance and now a Living Lite. Both are nice and both could be used while off the truck.

I think the long bed offers more advantages when fishing, but a short bed is more ideal as a daily driver.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

3. Member
    Is there a reason you don’t launch with the camper on?

If your not on a good hard ramp a camper could be enough to get you stuck or wet feet not being able to get in the box to get to the boat when no dock is available
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    I would not be without my camper. If I'm driving any distance I'm spending at least 1 night. This is my 3rd and largest Lance. I have never had an issue on a ramp but have never had to launch off dirt.IRS20171228_182608.jpg

Mud and sand are every other ramp I use, funny my buddy using my diesel on concrete with a small amount of sand around got it stuck in 4x4 with posi and off road rated tires.... so funny. As the boost builds, start lifting.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmess View Post
    I would not be without my camper. If I'm driving any distance I'm spending at least 1 night. This is my 3rd and largest Lance. I have never had an issue on a ramp but have never had to launch off dirt.

Nice rig. Do you always find a campground or do you stay at the ramp sometimes?

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    The Cummins is an $8800 option over the 6.4. NADA gives you $8000 credit for it on my 2014 3500. So it's a wash. Buy a truck for what you need, not for what the next guy needs.

The diesel is 9200.00 add plus if you go with diesel you would want the Ansin transmission for another 2700.00 over the gas. Had a 2012 diesel and got a 2017 dually 6.4. Mileage has been a little less but It pulls the camper and boat with ease as fast as I want to go. If you pull something very heavy go with diesel but it is overkill otherwise

2013 721 Phoenix 250 Optimax Pro XS
    2020 Ram 3500
    2021 Host Cascade Truck Camper

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perfect-storm View Post
    Nice rig. Do you always find a campground or do you stay at the ramp sometimes?
    Most of the lakes I fish don't allow camping in the launch area except where shoreline camping is allowed. During the week the campgrounds are pretty empty and finding a spot is pretty easy. Being fully self contained with a built in generator makes it easy in or out of the campground.

10. Member
    I often launch with the camper on. I only take the camper off if I will be in the same location for over 3 days or if I will be driving around a lot.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

When the wife is asleep in the camper. I found she sleeps better when the camper is not moving around
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

12. Member
    Hadn’t considered that.

Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    When the wife is asleep in the camper. I found she sleeps better when the camper is not moving around
    Haha funny, so in rams the asin transmission is “better” but only available in 3500, also it is not upgradeable, the stock one can be rebuilt with better parts if it goes out. My diesel mechanic friend and I were talking and I came to find out his Cummins and others don’t lock up the tranny till fourth gear... my 2016 2500 locks up in second gear! Much improved for strength and efficiency over there older ones.

14. Banned
    I have a 2017 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel and I carry a Lance 855s {slideout} while pulling a Ranger boat with not a problem. I had a 2005 Ford F-250 with camper package the engine was a gas V-10. I did do suspension upgrades to the truck to make it safer with no problems for 12 years. I have a back up camera on my camper with no problem backing my boat in the water. I suggest electric jacks on the camper also.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billsnp5 View Post
    The diesel is 9200.00 add plus if you go with diesel you would want the Ansin transmission for another 2700.00 over the gas. Had a 2012 diesel and got a 2017 dually 6.4. Mileage has been a little less but It pulls the camper and boat with ease as fast as I want to go. If you pull something very heavy go with diesel but it is overkill otherwise
    I built one on the Ramtrucks site right before I posted that so the number is correct. I have a 2014 3500 without the Aisin. There is no reason to spend the money on that for a 3-4000# camper. But we are definitely in agreement. The diesel is overkill unless you are pulling really heavy or just want major power with a load.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

When talking about 2500/3500 resale diesel sells easier than gas

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    The vast majority of people trade their trucks so ease of sale is a non-issue.

I think the resale argument is dumb. The entire point of buying a brand new truck is so you can get exactly what YOU want, not what the next guy wants. If you are worried about a couple grand difference on resale then you should be buying that one year old truck with 12,000 miles on the used lot for $10k less than the new one.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

18. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Spent the spring and summer shopping for a 250 and found with engines the price difference for used is just about exactly the same as the price difference was when new. I was shopping over a fairly wide region, roughly bounded by St. Louis, Chicago, Nashville and Dayton. I’m a patient shopper so I priced a lot of trucks both online and by talking to the seller/dealer so I think my experience was pretty representative.

Every time I found a truck that seemed cheaper than it should have been, it was something besides engine. Standard cab and 2WD with SRW both seemed to hurt the price, while high end packages like King Ranch and Lariat seemed to not help the price as much as you’d think.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

[QUOTE=bigmess;8961619]I would not be without my camper. If I'm driving any distance I'm spending at least 1 night. This is my 3rd and largest Lance. I have never had an issue on a ramp but have never had to launch off dirt.[/QUVery nVOTE]
    Very nice !!!!

20. Member
    Last question... Can I leave the camper on the truck and launch the boat without issue? I don’t want to take it off while on a trip, only want to remove it when I am not on a trip.

Just starting to consider so figured I’d see if there’s some experts here.....[/QUOTE]

There have been some really great responses so far, and I don't want to get into a truck debate, so I will just add a couple things.

I have a Northstar TC650 and really like it. Mine does not have a shower, but Northstar does offer a self contained model. Northstar also has a non pop up model with the same floorplan. I prefer to use the shower at the campground. I always stay at a campground. Lots of them have boat ramps. Launching or towing with a truck camper is no more difficult than launching with a truck cap. You need to back in next to the dock, or use some sort of rope contraption, or get your feet wet.

I do not have to use a hitch extension to tow. I do have to use a different draw bar as my truck sits a couple inches lower with the camper.

Budget in about a thousand dollars for miscellaneous items to make the truck and camper work together. You are going to need anchors, tie downs, and a way to connect your truck and camper electric. Depending on the camper you might also need air bags, shocks, tires, rims, towing mirrors, back up camera, extension hitch, etc.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast