Nitro z20 fuel tank brackets

Pull out your 2 rear side compartment. Look at the fuel tank brackets. Your bolts to the tank will probably be gone along with the very thin rubber gasket. The steel brackets are digging deeper and deeper into the tank. I am afraid they will go completely though if not addressed. Got the boat in June so it has not been used much. I see this as a major problem if not FIXED. Now the question is are these brackets used on the front of the tank also ? From what I see the only way to check is to pull the cap of the boat. Probably pretty pricey repair if fuel tank needs replacment. Looked at three other boats , all have same problem. I have not taken it to the dealer yet to see what needs to be done, but plan to in the next couple weeks. Let see who has this happening.
    Last edited by Guyjamesmc40; 12-24-2017 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Missing words

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyjamesmc40 View Post
    Pull out your 2 rear side compartment. Look at the fuel tank brackets. Your bolts to the tank will probably be gone along with the very thin rubber gasket. The steel brackets are digging deeper and deeper into the tank. I am afraid they will go completely though if not addressed. Got the boat in June so it has not been used much. I see this as a major problem if not FIXED. Now the question is are these brackets used on the front of the tank also ? From what I see the only way to check is to pull the cap of the boat. Probably pretty pricey repair if fuel tank needs replacment. Looked at three other boats , all have same problem. I have not taken it to the dealer yet to see what needs to be done, but plan to in the next couple weeks. Let see who has this happening.
    What model year and what model years did you check? Did you look at any Z21s also?

Hmm. The is no rubber next to the tank, and I have tightened my z8 many times, and wrecked my brackets( by the tank catching air while I’m on the water), as I was replacing mine I noticed they added a “knee brace” on the z20 series. I am curious if there is any brackets in front of the tank as well.

do you think because you lost the screws it let it wiggle its way into the tank?

I feel like you will use your warranty for a new tank.

ps something I have been doing is I tightly rolled some 1/2” foam tapped it up and rammed it between the tank and the seat area. This appears to be helping prevent the tank from moving. Made it very snug before I taped it up and rammed.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    I know I just bought a 2011 z8 same problem all screws are missing but mine is not damaging fuel tank. I had mine in the shop for them to look the whole boat over and they said nothing about that. Not that they looked. I have to take it back in for them to prefix the breaks I will ask then and update.

5. Member
    I only looked at 16 and 17 z20. Mine is a 17. Got it June 17. Has not seen a lot of use this year and the back brackets are dug in pretty good. Probably can deal with the back ones , but a little worried about front brackets and not know what they look like. Are they digging in also ?

I was wrong the rubber is on the gas tank section. Yes ever boat need every screw tightened about every 25 hours of use, one day you will notice they aren’t falling out anymore. All of our rub rails are loose I’m sure, and the panels around the livewell have screws falling out I siliconed them last time and they held...

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I was wrong the rubber is on the gas tank section. Yes ever boat need every screw tightened about every 25 hours of use, one day you will notice they aren’t falling out anymore. All of our rub rails are loose I’m sure, and the panels around the livewell have screws falling out I siliconed them last time and they held...

When it isn’t -15*F I will use mirrors and a camera to look for front tank mounts on my z8, I know The op has a z20, but I wouldn’t think thof re to different.

9. Member
    I just checked my 18 month old Z20. Each side had a loose screw and the gasket on the starboard side had shifted about 45° off plumb.

Thanks for the heads up.

10. Member
    I checked mine, none have changed.
    2016 Z20 Pro
    Ultrex, Lowrance, Merc Monitor, NMEA 2k, Point 1, Gatorbaks.