Thread: Ned rig baits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ned rig baits

Do any of you guys use any other style baits for a Ned rig other than the normal TRD or half Senko type baits. Something like a twitch tail minnow or shad shape worm? If so when do you typically use one style or the other?

2. Member
    I also use the ZMan Hula Stick and the new Hogz. Both catch fish.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    I also use the ZMan Hula Stick and the new Hogz. Both catch fish.
    Yep

4. Member
    I use half a zoom fluke stick most of the time..the extra action from the tail seems to get me more bites

5. Banned
    there are a bunch on facebook fishing swap page, lots of floaters etc.

6. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I make my own baits and I make my 3" stick baits float for ned rig. I also use my shakey worms the same and cut them down to 2 1/2"
    The secret to NED rig is NOTHING. DO nothing to create action to the bait. That is what I do and it is a great finesse technique for me.

7. Member
    Reins Bubbling Shaker!, give it a try...

Absolutely. Sky's the limit. On any given day, I try to pay particular attention to the profile the fish want. Then I finetune with color. For instance, do they want long and skinny, or short and fat? That's my first question. From there, I'll play around with color or jighead size.
    Here's my best producers.

The 4" Finesse WormZ is deadly and probably the most overlooked bait for this technique.
    The Finesse ShadZ is another good one, similar to a shad-shape worm.
    TRD TubeZ. A finesse tube is the first bait Ned showed me how to fish. Still deadly.
    TRD HogZ. New finesse creature bait that's been great since last winter. Ned slayed them last winter on the prototypes.
    Scented LeechZ. Just a different flatter profile. Still playing with this one, but it looks great in the water and does catch em.
    Punch CrawZ. This is the bait I tie on when I'm looking for a little bigger bite. Very realistic profile, stands up nice.
    Slim SwimZ 3". Yes its a swimbait and a really good one. It also comes in green pumpkin, and you can fish it just like the TRD on bottom. Trust me on this one.

Once I figure out what profile the fish want, I may try baits with similar profiles. Example: if they're hitting the Finesse TRD, I'll also try a TRD TubeZ since they're both short and fat. If they're hitting the skinny Finesse WormZ, I might also throw the Finesse ShadZ.

There's a ton of baits out there that will work. We modify baits all the time, usually shortened, to try something new. The Mag FattyZ cut in half is quietly gaining a following around here.

River Rock Striker and Fat Stick
    2016 RT 188

10. Member
    The problem is that Zman TRD's are just so good at catching fish under just about all conditions that you actually don't want to try anything else.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richsav730 View Post
    The problem is that Zman TRD's are just so good at catching fish under just about all conditions that you actually don't want to try anything else.
    Hard to argue with you on that

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richsav730 View Post
    Can’t beat the durability of the zman elaztech either!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyNegus94 View Post
    Can’t beat the durability of the zman elaztech either!
    Your'e dead right, Zman baits just don't die until they have caught a staggering number of fish.

14. Member
    I picked up a bunch of cheap Z-Man “French Fry” baits. I’m thinking they could be useful rigged as wacky worms, any other uses for them?
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

any small bait works. I have even used small minnow type baits like a Berkley gulp minnow the 3" ones work really well.

16. Member
    Don’t be afraid to try almost anything when using a Ned rig.
    Red Sox in 6!

Eyra Kid has the definitive list, I think. I'm not opposed to using non-Elaztech baits on the rig, but they need to float. There are very few (if any?) production soft baits out there aside from the Elaztech that actually float. Then when you start thinking about durability, it's no contest. I'm not saying other stuff won't catch fish, it's just that the Elaztech baits catch more fish.

As for getting at the original question and adding a little something: I've not found anything better than the standard TRD when it comes to pure numbers of fish. And that includes any other technique you want to try aside from the nNed rig. However, given that a lot of us are fishing for 5 big ones instead of numbers, I do think other options tend to fool a better average size fish than the TRD. My current favorite is a cut down Boar HogZ, though the new TRD HogZ seems to get bigger bites than the regular TRD as well. Of course the Hula StickZ have to be mentioned - that's my original "need a bigger bite" Ned bait. As Eyra Kid suggests, the Slim SwimZ is another that works well when the fish are keyed on baitfish. For whatever reason, I've never had a lot of luck with the Finesse ShadZ on the rig, though I probably haven't given it as much time as I should have. Drop shotting with it, on the other hand...

Last thing I've found to get bigger bites is throwing a skirted version. From the Z-Man lineup that would be the Micro Finesse Jig, though I've had a lot of luck tying my own skirts on other mushroom head jigs I would normally use for the Ned.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Thanks Drew. It is very interesting to see how this technique/rig has evolved across the country. As I've said before, I was fortunate to learn from the master well before it hit mainstream. It's given me a lot of years to experiment, but I'm still learning.

Here's a pic from Saturday. Culmination of several outings with no bites. Finally figured out the right combination of timing, location and lure. 9 bites, 7 keepers in 3 hours. Decent for this state.
    I've been playing with the Z-Man Slim SwimZ for about a year and half. First with the 2.5" for crappie and now with the 3". While crappie fishing, I kept catching walleye with it. That was clue #1. The Slim SwimZ doesn't look like much, I know, but the action is so, so good. You really have to see it in action to get a sense of it. It has that side-to-side roll that you see in really good swimbaits.

I keep fishing it with lighter and lighter jigheads, and it still swims perfect. It doesn't stop swimming and it doesn't roll over. I've only tried down to 1/15 oz with the 3", though I've fished the 2.5" on a 1/20. Saturday I settled on a 1/10 Finesse ShroomZ just slow-rolling and ticking bottom in 8 feet or less. Very rocky and snaggy, but the buoyancy just keeps it ticking the rocks. I never lost a jighead over two outings.

I'm really hoping Z-Man keeps expanding the size and color options of this bait. A 4" and 5" model will have so many bass applications, from A-Rig to swimjig to chatterbait to underspin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a nice group of wallies. I can't catch a bass on the Slim Z. Crappie yes, bass no. But, maybe I just haven't given it enough time. Sure looks good in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    That's a nice group of wallies. I can't catch a bass on the Slim Z. Crappie yes, bass no. But, maybe I just haven't given it enough time. Sure looks good in the water.
    Thank you sir. I enjoy catching these toothy critters at times. Eating them too!

I have caught some pond bass on the Slim SwimZ. For a swimbait, it needs to be upsized to the 4" and 5" range to really appeal to lake bass. Though there are some guys in Texas doing pretty well with it on schooling bass and white bass in summer/fall.

Have you tried the green pumpkin 3" Slim SwimZ, Quillback? That is the one I don't fish like a swimbait. I just ignore the fact that it has a paddletail. Pretend it's a Finesse TRD, fish accordingly on the bottom and let the tail do its thing. Works around here at times.

How have you fished it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast