Thread: merc xr6 150

merc xr6 150

Was just curious I run a 4 blade prop and runs great but was curious if i went to a 3 blade does that change gas mileage? This engine seems so thirsty also compared to a new engine current models like the 4 stroke and the pro xs would anyone know a guess on how much better they are on fuel? Would it say burn 25% less 50%?

2. Member
    An Optimax would be at least 30% more fuel efficient and suspect the 4-stroke would be same or better. Can't answer your prop question as I've never run a 4-blade.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    I have a three blade on mine and the best i can do is about 3 mpg. Thirsty is a kind word...BF

There are so many variables in prop designs and boat hulls and what works best on what that's it's virtually impossible to make a blanket statement about 3 vs 4 blades.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

5. Member
    ^^^^^^ agree and some load boats way diff than others one thing for sure opti is much more fuel efficient
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

The carbs make for a thirsty motor and a different prop will not significantly change that fact. The best thing you can do is set it up to run just below the limiter when at WOT. Once that is done, run the boat around 3500-4000 RPM. It will help but you will always burn more gas than than a 150 ProXS on the same hull. Going from an XR6 to a 150 ProXS, I would estimate you will use 40-50% less fuel.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    ^^^^^^ agree
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................