Baking jigs with brushgaurds?

I'm considering buying unpainted jigs from stamina to save some money, but they sell them with the brushgaurds already in place. I see they sell tubing to put over them for the initial powder coating, but I like to bake mine at 350 degrees and don't know if the heat tubing will work in the oven.

2. Member
    Buy them some place where you can get them without the weed guard. I've never had much success trying to bake jigs with weed guard in them. There are guys on this forum who sell jigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    Buy them some place where you can get them without the weed guard. I've never had much success trying to bake jigs with weed guard in them. There are guys on this forum who sell jigs.
    A Teflon insert is available to use while pouring/painting/power-coating/baking. It comes out very easily and then you can glue in the guard.
    Last edited by IBHUFFY; 12-23-2017 at 04:18 PM.

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border
    If you guys will go to a medical supply and get some small surgical tubing, like oxygen hose, cut in lengths the right size, slide over the guard during baking process, the hose will protect from melting the guard

I’ve tried the heat tubing that they sell at a couple of the lure sites and they didn’t work super well. They kept the weedguard from totally melting I guess. But you could still see some damage from the heat after you pulled them off.

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatcher89 View Post
    I’ve tried the heat tubing that they sell at a couple of the lure sites and they didn’t work super well. They kept the weedguard from totally melting I guess. But you could still see some damage from the heat after you pulled them off.
    How hot are you baking? I have never used anything but breathing oxygen hose, just a tad longer than the guard but I only bake at 200 for 15 min.

7. Member
    350° for 20 minutes for the paint to have a chance against MO rocks.

I'll have to go check. I usually follow the directions on the jar. 350 for 20 sounds right. I use the Teflon pins now.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    350° for 20 minutes for the paint to have a chance against MO rocks.
    That’s what they recommend that is how long I bake and glue in the weedguard after the baking.

10. Member
    When I used to pour jigs with the weed guard in, 285 degrees is as hot as I could go and have good results. Let them go for at least 45 min at that temp. But, using a Teflon pin is the way to go and glue the guards in after baking the paint.

I also made covers out of wooden dowels. Drilled out the centers and cupped one end to slip over the guard. Worked great. Still have a box of them.

11. Member
    Go to Ace hardware and get some 5/32" aluminium tubing and cut it a little longer than your weed guard. But not all weed guards have the same melting point. I do fine at 350 for 20 min. with the Do It brand weed guards but the ones I get from Boss Fishing will melt at that temp. and I have to glue them in.
    One other point, I bake my jigs in an electric skillet with a cover and I have never took an oven thermometer and checked to see it the thermostat settings are correct. But 350 is what I set it on.
    Last edited by TNbasskicker; 01-01-2018 at 05:48 AM.

12. Member
    I wrap my guards with aluminum foil and bake at 225 for 15-20 minutes. The paint holds up good enough for me.