Mercury Monitor Question

I figured out that with my boats MM I can’t see motor hours as I had hoped. I’ll be upgrading to the new expanded motor master system pretty soon. Brother Tim told me I need a NMEA network and another thingamajig. Right now I need to know if anyone can tell me a way to get run time out of the setup I have. That would be the basic motor master or my Lowrance units. I have had the console Carbon unitnon each time in the boat. That will at the lesser perhaps have elapsed “on time” in it somewhere. Pretty much thought I was reading hours and tenths of hours in the MM when I turned the Key over before starting the engine. However that was software version not time. So that 3.03 hrs I looked at a couple days ago was not hours after all. I’m sure I have about 4.5 hrs on the engine but would really like to know exactly since it has been in break in mode. Had I known the MM wasn’t able I’d have kept time with my phone timer from day 1. May find the answer tomorrow while I’m rained in and reading my Lowrance and motor paperwork. Thanks

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Johnny, if you don't have a NMEA network set up in your boat you will not see anything on your HDS units. The Merc Monitor must be installed correctly from the motors wiring harness and then set up in the settings. It is a level 1 Merc Monitor correct? It has nothing to do with the carbon unit in dash.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

3. Member
    You are right. Tim Powell was telling me I had to install a NMEA network (backbone as I call it) before upgrading to the more sophisticated Mercury monitor. I was, for now, just hoping to get the power on-time so far that the units have been running. They will show more time than I have run since new but not much more. That’s just a back-door attempt to get an idea of elapsed time. But when I get the Nite Track night vision unit I’ll need the NMEA anyway to be able to use the Lowrance screen instead of a separate screen. I think that new NMEA backbone will let me network with the Mercury monitor and get the engine data on the Lowrance units too. That would be nice to have.

4. Member
    Turn key on wait for MM to come up under the propulsion tab scroll through until you come to this. Sorry it’s side ways someday I will learn how to use a phone to take pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    Johnny I think that's a smartcraft system monitor instead of a merc monitor. This is what the manual says about the system monitor.

Johnny Johnson

Pretty sure you just need to go to a particular screen and edit/add the hour screen, couple minutes and you are in business!

7. Member
    Johnny looks like I misunderstood your question. You are wanting to know if you can see how many hours the HDS units have been on and because they have been on when ever the engine has been ran you have a close number of hours on your engine. I went out and looked at my HDS 9 and can’t find the run time on the unit.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    Johnny looks like I misunderstood your question. You are wanting to know if you can see how many hours the HDS units have been on and because they have been on when ever the engine has been ran you have a close number of hours on your engine. I went out and looked at my HDS 9 and can’t find the run time on the unit.
    Yes sir. I was trying to find anything that would get me close to the run hours. Thankfully, I got the hour meter turned on on my Smartcraft Gauge and saw the hours. That was very helpful.
    Thanks Brother for your help.

9. Member
    Thank you all for the big time help. Johnny Johnson spent a lot of time with my problem and he figured out how to walk me through finding the way to turn the Hrs function on in my SmartCraft gauge. Yep, it is a SmartCraft not a Mercury Monitor. The monitor upgrade will be coming pretty soon I'll tell you that. BTW, I have between 3 and 4 hrs on the motor. I have a little more running with the old lower down and tucked before I can do anything really fun....go fast. Merry Christmas to you all and may God richly bless you.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    Thank you all for the big time help. Johnny Johnson spent a lot of time with my problem and he figured out how to walk me through finding the way to turn the Hrs function on in my SmartCraft gauge. Yep, it is a SmartCraft not a Mercury Monitor. The monitor upgrade will be coming pretty soon I'll tell you that. BTW, I have between 3 and 4 hrs on the motor. I have a little more running with the old lower down and tucked before I can do anything really fun....go fast. Merry Christmas to you all and may God richly bless you.
    Your guess was pretty close then.

Merry Christmas & get that Christmas present broke in!
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

11. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    Did you read your break-in directions?
    After the first hour you can do pretty much anything you want, It states that for the first hour to keep the engine loaded as in jack plate down and neutral or below trim, and keep the rpm's between 4500 and 5400 rpm's. Then the next three hours, change engine engine speed every ten minutes, or something like that. That means you can run it wide open or where ever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    Did you read your break-in directions?
    After the first hour you can do pretty much anything you want, It states that for the first hour to keep the engine loaded as in jack plate down and neutral or below trim, and keep the rpm's between 4500 and 5400 rpm's. Then the next three hours, change engine engine speed every ten minutes, or something like that. That means you can run it wide open or where ever you want.

Time to send you some big wheels. Let’s get this show on the road!!!!!
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

13. Member
    What break in that’s what the double oil is for drive it like you stole it.

14. Member
    I got the break in hrs over with today. Thank you Jesus. I put some 93 in it and ran about 30 miles. No ballast so I could really let it rip. I tried and regretted it pretty quick. It was a loaded bomb going off when I had the jack up and the pedal down. Tapped the trim and holy moly hang on for dear life. LOL. With a load and some balance I’ll be giving it a go later this week. The new weight distribution with the Lithium’s, Ulterra and Power Poles. Not even close to feeling like my other Allison’s.

15. BBC SPONSOR
    You have the System Monitor Johnny. Sounds like you have it figured out now but you can program that device to show what screens you want and also calibrate your trim if needed.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

16. RIP -April 30,2023
    figure out all the carbon hds linking merc monitor stuff johnny so you can tell me how to do it. ive got a carbon 7 that i want to link up to a 300xs and display rpm, etc etc

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbailey View Post
    figure out all the carbon hds linking merc monitor stuff johnny so you can tell me how to do it. ive got a carbon 7 that i want to link up to a 300xs and display rpm, etc etc
    Soon I will have most of my electronics figured out. It was overwhelmingly at first but like eating an elephant, I’m taking one bite at a time.

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by cbailey View Post
    Easiest way is with a LEVEL 1 Merc Monitor. Been running this setup for a few years now
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

19. RIP -April 30,2023
    ill be in contact tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Easiest way is with a LEVEL 1 Merc Monitor. Been running this setup for a few years now

20. Member
    Johnny do you put in there on Hwy 31 @ TN river boat ramp ?

Thanks
    2021 Ranger Z520
    Merc 250 Pro XS