Thread: Lip measuring ?

Lip measuring ?

Can someone explain the correct (Allison) way to measure a lip.
    I'm sure it involves a straight edge and precise measurement's taken in the appropriate places... I would think you could take a straight edge from the lip to a certain point on the hull then find the exact size drill bit to fit in front of the lip . Most concerned with straight edge placement --- seems the measurement would change depending on how far forward you extend the straight edge.

Sure be interesting to compare measured lips on different 21's and see if there is some correlation to the way they handle and run ???
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 12-22-2017 at 11:05 AM.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Can someone explain the correct (Allison) way to measure a lip.
    I'm sure it involves a straight edge and precise measurement's taken in the appropriate places... I would think you could take a straight edge from the lip to a certain point on the hull then find the exact size drill bit to fit in front of the lip . Most concerned with straight edge placement --- seems the measurement would change depending on how far forward you extend the straight edge.

Sure be interesting to compare measured lips on different 21's and see if there is some correlation to the way they handle and run ???
    Not even going to post how I have done it for years now on an XB2003, because this will be like asking what brand of 2 stroke oil to use. I have always used feeler gauges for what I considered to be an exact measurement. It's funny how this lip discussion has been beaten to death over the years. It goes away, but always comes back. Opinions will vary from the great improvements it makes to you have ruined your boat and it will never run right again. Heaven forbid someone should modify in any way the standard factory lip that was determined by Darris, oh wait, he has sanded lips himself, and over the years continues to change what at the time was his idea and the best lip height. Sorry guys, retired, winter now, and I'm bored.......................

Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Dang Robert --you still (sore) over that.
    I know the 2003 has been "beaten to death" and how stubborn Darris can be !!!! .. I also know things have changed since my 21 was built to run with a 2.5 225 promax when it left the factory.
    Odds are I will never touch the pad.. That does not mean I wouldn't like to know how much difference there is between mine and some of these guys rigs who seem to be doing much better than others.

Thus the question about the (correct way to measure) -- Without a correct measurement the numbers are useless or painful !!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Dang Robert --you still (sore) over that.
    I know the 2003 has been "beaten to death" and how stubborn Darris can be !!!! .. I also know things have changed since my 21 was built to run with a 2.5 225 promax when it left the factory.
    Odds are I will never touch the pad.. That does not mean I wouldn't like to know how much difference there is between mine and some of these guys rigs who seem to be doing much better than others.

Thus the question about the (correct way to measure) -- Without a correct measurement the numbers are useless or painful !!
    I have always used a metal straight edge about 8 to 10 inches long. I don't know if that is "correct " or not, lol

6. Member
    I think River Rocket showed a picture one day of a cool tool to measure the lip.

I tried a straight edge and feeler gauge (also tried a drill bit). My numbers came out high. A friend told me to use a paint stick and carve away until goes around the lip. This is right down the center. Measure the depth of the carving. I tried it that way and it is right on the number (or within a few thousandths).
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

8. Member

I used a dial depth indicator as shown in the pic. I would say the trailing edge “lip” is .065” lower than the flat plane of the running pad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carte's Custom

9. Member

I used a dial depth indicator as shown in the pic. I would say the trailing edge “lip” is .065” lower than the flat plane of the running pad.
    Carte's Custom

10. Member
    Opps, sorry about the double post. It gets kind tricky using my IPad.
    Carte's Custom

11. Member
    I had the wrong screen name but that’s what I was talking about.

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartes Custom View Post

Your boat has the new style pad (less lip). Pretty sure I drove it before you got it.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

13. Member
    Agreed. Terry informed me that they modified the lip.
    Carte's Custom