Question Toledo bend fishing

Headed to the bend for the holidays.. Has anyone been there fishing lately? How is the lake level, and are the fish gonna be deep? I know it's not the best time to be fishing there but I want to give it a try and learn more Area.. Thanks....

2. Member
    I haven't been to the camp in a while but I'm hearing a lot of rattle trap reports.

I'm one that doesn't care if he catches 100 fish and I am a shallow water fisherman. I can generally catch a few all winter on chatterbaits, square bill crankbaits and flipping to shallow cover. The lake is lower than it has been the past few years but it is actually at a more normal draw down level for the fall and winter. According to fishing reports on facebook, there are some good schools out deep especially on the south end but, as said above, some are catching on rattle traps around grass also.

One thing about Toledo Bend, you never know what you might catch. Last year on December 23rd, Dad and I were playing around in Lanana and catching some from 12 inches up to 2 pounds on a square bill. Just before sundown we were fishing close to the landing and I ended up with a 7lb 8oz beauty.

4. Member
    Well I made it out this morning and man it's tough fishing in December. I managed to catch 6 fish total today and they weren't anything to brag about. Caught 4 on a rattle trap and 2 on watermelon red speed craw, fishing the edges of the grass.

Damn Jason you fishing. Lol

6. Member
    Yeah I'll be on the water for a few days. Might go to Rayburn in the morning.