Thread: Chip Repair?

Chip Repair?

You can see what I am going to attempt to repair myself. It is about the size of a dime. I have the Gelcoat repair kit, and also the exact polyflake to match. My question is, how much area around the chip should I sand down, or should I at all? Should I just rough it up a little? And should I just apply the base coat to the area that is has the glass exposed or also over the area I sand down outside of it, or rough up?

I will apply the polyflake to the wet base coat, let it cure some, then apply the clear over it and any additional area around it that I may have sanded.
    Apply the plastic to smooth
    Allow to cure
    Sand and buff accordingly.

Sound like the right plan? Just don't want to sand around it if it isn't needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KCLOST; 12-21-2017 at 08:03 AM.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

2. Member
    Ok I believe you will need glass to. Put glass on first. Right. I’m trying to do the same thing lol

No, no glass is needed it is only a gelcoat repair. The Gel chipped and has just barely exposed some glass, this is not a hole...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Tape off fairly close to the chip - maybe 1/2" away from the chipped edges.
    Sand lightly along the edges of the chip just to taper the repair area, so you don't have a hard transition line.
    Apply the base gelcoat (is it black? hard to tell in the pic) keeping in the original chip area as much as possible, and apply flake to it.
    When you apply the clear gel, extend past the original chipped area to cover your sanded areas. This will all be wet-sanded down and polished flush to original surface in the end.
    Be sure to use a small sanding block when wet sanding, so your finished surface is "fair" and level.

Awesome!! Thanks CC....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team