X5 motorguide trolling motor review

Motorguide X5 24v 80 trust , two blade prop

1: the bolt holes do line up with existing motorguide tour digital

2: holes for foot pedal do not

3: install was super easy

4: speed setting 1 through 3 make the motor sound louder than settings 4 tru 6. Settings 7 tru 9 are louder again. Kind of annoying but I keep it on setting 5 when fishing.

5: the 2 blade prop it comes with sucks IMO

6: love the way this troller motor turns way better than your digital.

7: when I deploy trolling motor sometimes it won’t engage, so it comes flying up when I hit the gas. May just need breaking in

8: it’s s solid trollling motor not a good one not a bad one just solid.

9: motor shut off once when I bogged it in the middle for about 2 seconds. But started working again two minutes later. This has me worried.

10: but so far it’s been a solid trolling motor. Time will tell

11: a little easier than your digital to deploy.

2. Member
    I have a one year old x5 now . Get rid of the two blade . Get a three blade machete your batteries will be thank full and the motor will be much quieter . There is a over heat sensor in the new motors . If your 4 wheeling through the thick stuff it sets it off . Rotate the dail to off then back to your setting you should be good to go again .

3. Member
    Ive had the X5 for two seasons now. I cant complain. It does exactly What I want it to do.
    1995 Stratos 217F
    115HO Evinrude Etec
    Motorguide X5 80#
    2017 F-150 XLT Lightning Blue

4. Member
    I've had mine for 1.5 seasons and no real problems so far. I've reset the gearing so that the cable is not being driven straight into the deck, and put a modified MK Wedge II prop on it. That prop, along with a Ninja Grass Blade, has no problem blasting through the mats.
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    Mercury 200 EFI (0G374590)
    26P Trophy Plus / Garmin Force / Garmin EchoMAP / Dual Power Pole Pro Series II

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

5. Member
    I got 2 x5 80lb and going to trade for a Fortrex or Ultrex. Broke a cable on one x5 in the first season and after using a Fortrex on a buddy's boat. I'm sold on Minn kota. MG just seems cheap built. Just my opinion