switching from lowrance to huminbirds

I'm considering switching from Lowrance graphs to huminbird graphs. I have no experience with Huminbird. What would a comparable unit be to a Lowarance HDS 12 or Carbon 12? Also, if I was to keep a lowrance in my boat and add a Huminbird unit, would the two transducers on the back of the boat cause interference from being close together? I'm in the process of researching the different models fro Huminbird now, but I would like to hear some personal opinions from some of you. Which unit should I get to replace the HDS 12?

To match the touch screen, that would be the SOLIX 12 MEGA CHIRP SI GPS. You get full function (SI/DI/2D) with the standard transducer that comes with it.

Humminbird and Lowrance use the same frequencies for 2D and imaging except for the MEGA Imaging (83/200/455/800 kHz).
    Any two units operating at the same time using the same frequencies will cross-talk with their sonar pulses overlap. Brand and unit/transducer location makes no difference, even on different boats close to each other.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks for the info Wayne. So the guys I have seen running both brands on their boat are having to turn one off to get a clear picture? I'm assuming I can't view the side scan on the huminbird while looking a the lowrance in 2D and have a clear picture? Is there a way around this?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman1 View Post
    Thanks for the info Wayne. So the guys I have seen running both brands on their boat are having to turn one off to get a clear picture? I'm assuming I can't view the side scan on the huminbird while looking a the lowrance in 2D and have a clear picture? Is there a way around this?
    2D does not affect Side Imaging, way different frequencies. Structure Scan will affect Side Imaging if both are using the same frequency.

2D cross-talking will affect the 2D. You can turn off 2D sonar with a SOLIX and just use Imaging so it will not affect the Lowrance 2D or you can use different 2D frequencies like you can with Imaging/Scan.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    I went the opposite direction. I had 2 onix units on my boat. I just installed 3 hds units. But, I still have 1 onix unit up front with 360 imaging. After having the the 360, I wasn’t giving that up..

6. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter james View Post
    I went the opposite direction. I had 2 onix units on my boat. I just installed 3 hds units. But, I still have 1 onix unit up front with 360 imaging. After having the the 360, I wasn’t giving that up..
    The Onix are good, but they sure are no Solix....
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

7. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    I didn't have any problems last year when I ran both. I've had Lowrance forever. The new boat has Helix 10s and no Lowrance and I'm tickled to death.
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/