Fly rodders step in here

Thinking of building me a fly rod. What length and wt do you recommend. Was thinking 2 or 3 wt 7 and a half footer. Keep in mind i have never used a fly rod. Is it easier to cast a shorter rod. Got any particular blanks that you favor? Slow or Fast action? Thanks guys.

I have a couple 3 & 4's and they are 7.5'. Just the way the sales went at the time. In the boat they're just fine. Not making any superhero casts. Most are only 30-50'. From the bank I'd like to have an 8.5 or 9 due to some brush behind me but I make it work. They're a bit more moderate in the action and forgiving. Faster rods take a bit of getting used to due to loading. Haven't built one in many years so I'm no help there.

I beat the bluegills and crappie to death with the 3's. Tons o' fun. Get a fair amount of channel cats too. Not much rocket surgery involved. You can make it expensive as you want. My next one will probably be an Eagle Claw featherlight.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 12-20-2017 at 04:12 PM.

3. Member
    I can get 30 per cent off these, whatcha think? Snake guides or ceramic?

RAINSHADOW RX6 2 PC. FLY BLANKS - DARK BLUE
    MODEL
    LENGTH
    WT
    BUTT
    TIP
    MSRP
    F662-2
    6'6"
    $35.28
    F763-2
    7'6"
    $42.58
    F764-2
    7'6"
    $44.48
    F793-2
    7'9"
    $44.93

I can't vouch for the blanks. I think I have 2 6wt rainshadow blanks stashed somewhere waiting for me to get motivated. If I ever do, I'll go with snakes. I built a 6 @ 30 years ago on a Loomis blank and used single foot ceramics. Replaced one and still have the rod. Made a 5 a while back with the single foot super light wire guides. Broke that sucker while test casting before it ever saw the water. Bad blank I guess. (Wasn't a rainshadow blank although I did make up some new names for it.)
    Last edited by fr8dog; 12-20-2017 at 06:48 PM.

5. Member
    I trust the Rainshadow brand but i am not opposed to something higher if it is better, i can get a deal on St Croix and Northfork Composite blanks. I'll see what they offer. Appreciate your thoughts.

This was from a short walk along the bank one spring afternoon. Fun times. Tossed quite a few back. 7.5' 4wt with an Allen Alpha 3/4. With the line, I've got maybe $75 tied up in this setup. Several years of use. Small clousers a couple feet deep. Have had many days like this. Hope you give it a try.

7. Member
    just some advice. I would start off with a 5 wt til you got the "feel" and timing down. buy a pre-made rod and reel setup. that way you can see if you like it. get good quality line. it makes a big difference. gills and crappie are lots of fun on a 4 or 5 wt. thats what i use. 9 ft is like the basic standard. but each rod length and wt has its place just like any other rod. all but two of mine is 9ft. i fish out of a boat 99% of the time. I got that same rod that fr8dog has and its a good little rod. cant beat the price on it. JMO.

Steve

I think I paid $15 for that little rod when Academy was doing a close out. Planned on sticking a spinning reel on it for jig dipping. The Allen balanced perfectly and I kept it on. Ran back to get the others but they were gone. It's only a 7'.