Chickamauga in winter.

Is the lake worth fishing in early Jan? A buddy is looking at buying a boat down there and we are thinking of fishing the lake for a couple days before heading back up. Any insight is appreciated.

2. Member
    Check out Chattanooga Fishing Forum. I used a guide called Chris Hight. He's still catching them now. Check out his Facebook page.

3. Member
    Thanks

4. Member
    Nope, the chick is awful then and always. No fish there, move along . The lake is good pretty much always but the fish can be super finicky. No way I'd pass up an opportunity to fish there if I was from MN.
    If you do go watch your maps close(use depth offset if you have it) as the water will be down and its very easy to lose a lower at winter pool. 30 fow in the channel quickly turns to 1 fow in many places as soon as you get outside the buoys

5. Member
    Our tax dollars have a lot invested in those channel markers that the Coast Guard maintains. It's best to use them during winter pool times.

6. Member
    Definitely will be watching the markers. I’m familiar with rivers that fluctuate with season. I appreciate the heads up though. Would be a shame to buy a rig and knock the lower off day 1.

7. Member
    or day 1846

8. Member
    FYI, the TN state largemouth record was caught Feb. 13, 2015. If you want your personal best this time of year on that lake can be very rewarding!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    If you do go watch your maps close(use depth offset if you have it) as the water will be down and its very easy to lose a lower at winter pool. 30 fow in the channel quickly turns to 1 fow in many places as soon as you get outside the buoys

Back before I had mapping I was running north, and a little before the power plant there is a creek on the left that I wanted to go into... well I cut it too tight and found one of those areas it goes from 30ft to 1ft . Looking over the side I saw the ground appear while running about 35, and right about then was when the lower dug in and we stopped... lucky it was just sand so no damage but if there was a stump or rock there it could have been bad quick!!!
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Back before I had mapping I was running north, and a little before the power plant there is a creek on the left that I wanted to go into... well I cut it too tight and found one of those areas it goes from 30ft to 1ft . Looking over the side I saw the ground appear while running about 35, and right about then was when the lower dug in and we stopped... lucky it was just sand so no damage but if there was a stump or rock there it could have been bad quick!!!
    That will pucker you up pretty quick! lol

11. Member
    I did that myself J Risco about 20 years ago. Came to a complete stop quick, fast, and in a hurry. The crazy thing was the sand bar was loaded with buffalo. They were turning all over the place.

12. Member
    Looks like everything is going through with it so we should be heading down. What tackle would you suggest? Football heads, cranks, drop shot? I don’t want to bring all my tackle. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sbp View Post
    Looks like everything is going through with it so we should be heading down. What tackle would you suggest? Football heads, cranks, drop shot? I don’t want to bring all my tackle. Lol
    A-Rig, Jerkbait

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sbp View Post
    A-rig(only 3 hooks in tn), jig, traps, jerks, ned

15. Member
    This

16. Member
    Appreciate it.

17. Member
    No bass in that lake.
    2004 Triton TR21X * 2021 Mercury 250 4 stroke