Banned

Trolling Motor Testing

Is there a way to check the "power" of trolling motor? My MK Maxxum 70 just doesn't seem as strong as it used to be.

2. Member
    You have to check it under a load on high. Use an ampmeter. If the amp draw is correct, then thrust is correct -- assuming the prop/shear pin is in good shape.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Banned
    Ok I can do that next the next time I go. Any idea what amp draw I need to look for? would it be in the manual?

4. Member
    It is rated for 42 amps at full speed. If it is lower then your good. If it is higher than this then you have a problem. Not saying it is a troll motor problem but you could have a connections problem or battery problem.
    High resistance connections will read with a meter, but when a load is added the voltage drops and the motor may run slow or not at all.

Replaced a trolling motor with a new one of the same thrust. Was amazed how much stronger the new one is..
    What causes the old one to lose power ? Can it be helped ? want to keep it as a back up..

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Replaced a trolling motor with a new one of the same thrust. Was amazed how much stronger the new one is..
    What causes the old one to lose power ? Can it be helped ? want to keep it as a back up..
    Not a motor expert, but my theory is after a number of years of use the magnets may be getting weak causing the motor to slow under load. I don't have any grounds to back that up, because I have not run into that issue in the shop. It's just a theory I have. Maybe an electrical engineer may be able to answer. Try replacing the housing.

7. Member
    Age of wiring, connections, etc. Magnets usually don't just "weaken" however we all know that some things electrical can act on magnets to demagnetize them.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Banned
    So I finally got a chance to test my trolling motor with 2 new batteries. I measured 31.4 amps on full speed.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrew73 View Post
    So I finally got a chance to test my trolling motor with 2 new batteries. I measured 31.4 amps on full speed.
    Held in immobile position in the water with the factory propeller?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrew73 View Post
    If this was under a load, it is weak. Could be either armature or magnet /motor housing.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Banned
    It was it was not immobile. I was in the water trolling at full speed with the factory prop.