Thread: Prop spacer

Prop spacer

Bought a used prop and was told my existing prop hardware would work fine for it.

When I put new prop on, there was alot of play and I noticed the back of the prop shaft where the splines line up, their is more showing on the new (used) prop. I think I may just need one of the plastic prop spacers but wanted to verify first. Pics attached.

Original aluminum prop. See how the splines are almost flush.

New 4 blade power tech. Splines stick out more. Do I just need one of those thicker prop spacers?

Without spacer, this washer is wobbly. This is the washer from the current prop.

What brand engine? If OMC you might need this...

https://www.google.com/search?q=omc+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    What brand engine? If OMC you might need this...

https://www.google.com/search?q=omc+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    yes its a Johnson. I just ordered one. Will I use that plastic space as well as the thin metal washer you see in the last picture?

Or just the plastic spacer?

Crap, I meant the metal one but I guess the plastic one would work too. And yes it goes on after the prop to cover the splines and then you use the thin washer and nut/cotter pin.

Sorry for the confusing link, didnt know you were going to order so fast. I would call where you ordered and try to change it to the metal one, at least that's what I always used with my Fast Strike.

EDIT:
    Now Im looking at different links there, and dont know which would be better for you. Im just used to the metal one but for the smaller gear cases the plastic might be the one. Maybe one of the gurus that knows the smaller engines better than me can help. Either way I think the one you ordered should work fine

5. Member
    Crap, I meant the metal one but I guess the plastic one would work too. And yes it goes on after the prop to cover the splines and then you use the thin washer and nut/cotter pin.

Sorry for the confusing link, didnt know you were going to order so fast. I would call where you ordered and try to change it to the metal one, at least that's what I always used with my Fast Strike.
    I think they serve the same purpose, you can either choose metal or plastic though.

I will go with it. I actually ordered it before I even asked...it was $5. Most of the videos I watched showed a plastic one.

my motor is a 90hp.

Quote Originally Posted by joho5 View Post
    I think they serve the same purpose, you can either choose metal or plastic though.

I will go with it. I actually ordered it before I even asked...it was $5. Most of the videos I watched showed a plastic one.

my motor is a 90hp.
    good deal. Hope you see some good gains going from alum to SS prop!

7. Member
    good deal. Hope you see some good gains going from alum to SS prop!
    hope so too...this aluminum ran this setup good. Its a 13.25x19 alum. I went to a 13.25x17 stainless 4 blade. Just need to go run it. I believe with this one, I will be able to raise up my motor.

The aluminum prop had vent holes...is that something I probably need to do with this one as well?

Quote Originally Posted by joho5 View Post
    hope so too...this aluminum ran this setup good. Its a 13.25x19 alum. I went to a 13.25x17 stainless 4 blade. Just need to go run it. I believe with this one, I will be able to raise up my motor.

The aluminum prop had vent holes...is that something I probably need to do with this one as well?
    Im the wrong one to ask about that, I have almost no experience with the tin boats or smaller engines. But I would run it as is first then decide if it needs any work. Im thinking those 2 props are going to be way different so doing anything before you run it would just be guessing