Stratos 275- Where to put 3rd battery

I have a Stratos 275 with 12v trolling motor and would like to install a 24v motor.
    Has anybody done this and where did you put the 3rd battery ? The 275 has built in battery shelves (one on each side in the bilge area), one each for trolling/cranking batterys. So I think my 3rd battery needs to go somewhere in the middle to keep the weight distributed evenly however thats where my livewell
    pumps are. Thanks for any help

Re: Stratos 275- Where to put 3rd battery (Basstrack)

Gwt in touch with Debassn.....he has a 275 with a 24v setup

3. Member

I turned my tm battery side ways and put another one next to it. If you want i can probably get a picture for you.

4. Member

Re: Stratos 275- Where to put 3rd battery (Mike Adams)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mike Adams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gwt in touch with Debassn.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mike after this long and you still don't know how to spell my screen name?

Re: Stratos 275- Where to put 3rd battery (DEbassin)

new keyboard wifey went to the ergonomic keyboard and I am still getting used to it

6. Member

Re: Stratos 275- Where to put 3rd battery (DEbassin)

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I might consider putting the batterys side by side.
    Does the extra weight on one side cause the boat to lean to that side or be unbalanced ? A pic would be great if you could post one. Thanks again

I haven't noticed anything being unbalanced when being out in Chad's boat....I have mine that way in my little boat and don't notice it a bit and it's shorter and more narrow than yours.

8. Member

Hope this helps.

9. Member

I removed the factory installed Dual pro charger and mounted it next to the factory TM battery. Fits perfectly

2004 275 Pro XL Johnson 90

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEbassin View Post
    I turned my tm battery side ways and put another one next to it. If you want i can probably get a picture for you.
    I am assisting my brother in law with upgrade of his 2008 Stratos 275XL to a 24 volt trolling motor and the addition of a 3rd battery.
    Reading your post above, any pics would be greatly appreciated.

Did you wire your 3rd battery in series with Batt #2, AND MOST important, is your 3rd battery charged by the engine when underway. As I understand it, unless you have a double pole/double throw (12/24 CHARGE TROLL) switch wired between Batt 2 and Batt 3, Batt 3 will not get charged by the engine. Did you have to change your BATT POWER switch on the dash or continue to reuse the original? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfishman View Post
    I removed the factory installed Dual pro charger and mounted it next to the factory TM battery. Fits perfectly
    I am assisting my brother in law with upgrade of his 2008 Stratos 275XL to a 24 volt trolling motor and the addition of a 3rd battery.
    Reading your post above, any pics would be greatly appreciated.

Did you wire your 3rd battery in series with Batt #2, AND MOST important, is your 3rd battery charged by the engine when underway. As I understand it, unless you have a double pole/double throw (12/24 CHARGE TROLL) switch wired between Batt 2 and Batt 3, Batt 3 will not get charged by the engine. Did you have to change your BATT POWER switch on the dash or continue to reuse the original? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

12. Member
    I am the real Scubby McScruberson!

13. Member
    Your installation looks neat and clean! (Assuming you have a 24V troller AND it is connected to batts #2 and #3 wired in series:
    1) Does your Stratos have a 12/24 CHARGE/TROLL switch at Bow troller plug? 2) Do you have a single rocker POWER switch on your dash that controls ON/OFF of all 3 batteries simultaneously to entire boat? ....in other words no Perko Or ADD A BATTERY switch! 4) Did you wire trolling battery #2 in series with battery #3?
    5) is Cranking battery #1 wired in parallel with Bat #2 ONLY. Are you sure battery #3 is getting charged by engine when running? THANKS

14. Member
    I kept it simple

2 trolling batts wired in series for 24v, to master switch in the battery compartment. There straight to the trolling motor. No charging from the big motor

cranking battery hooked directly to motor, line run to power switch on console for all accessories

Ag

15. Member
    For my clarification, you disconnected your original #2 batt from any connection to original batt #1 AND the engine charging system. You then added a #3 batt and wired it in series with #2 batt as a stand alone 24V supply to your 24V trolling motor via a ON/OFF batt switch in the batt compartment. Batts #2 and #3 are never charged by the engine. Batt #1 is charged by engine and supplies all 12V needs for the entire boat...for cranking, to dash POWER, all lights and all accys. Correct? THANKS AGAIN!

16. Member
    Mine came with a 24v system when i bought it. But you are correct as to how i have i wired.