Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heating vs Acetone to Remove Carpet?

Just curious if anyone has considered heating the carpet and adhesive rather than dumping gallons of expensive acetone before peeling it back? I've got a message into Syntec to attempt to find out about the thermal properties of their carpet and adhesive but also wanted to ask the BBC group. I'm thinking it will take a heat gun rather than a hair dryer. The carpet and adhesive is only 5 years old on my Phoenix so I'm unsure if that makes it easier or harder than say a 20-year old boat to remove. Happy Holidays everyone!

2. Member
    It will burn probably fire before anything..

3. Marty Donlea
    Try Goof off..I just finished a 21 foot boat and only used about a half a gallon.Works great.. Think it's $20 a gallon at home depot... This is what it looks like when your done..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by martyd; 12-19-2017 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Add pictures

4. Member
    I tried all three. I found good off to work the best.

5. Member
    I was a bit lazy on the scraper and applied several coats over maybe 30 min. It did most of the work. Then acetone to clean it all up.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by martyd View Post
    Try Goof off..I just finished a 21 foot boat and only used about a half a gallon.Works great.. Think it's $20 a gallon at home depot... This is what it looks like when your done..
    That looks great I would hate to cover that up LOL !!! Are you going back with carpet or something else ?

7. Member
    Just to clarify - Did you use the Goof off to help remove the carpet from the boat or the adhesive after removing the carpet? I'm trying to find the best means to remove the carpet from the boat without using gallons of acetone.

8. Marty Donlea
    Just pull up the carpet and use the goof off to remove the glue. Carpet should pull up pretty easy. That way you can use it for a pattern.. Here is the finished boat. Done this fro a friend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Member
    I've recarpeted two boats and would have reservations about a heat gun (melting, burns, etc) and acetone ( flash fires, being overcome by fumes). For both boats that I recarpeted I used a four inch scraper with a relatively sharp edge. Some areas come up easy, some hard. Once the carpet is up then Goof off or some other product should work. Again be careful when using solvents to remove the clue residue as they are often quite flammable.

10. Member
    Thanks martyd!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADVAN View Post
    I've recarpeted two boats and would have reservations about a heat gun (melting, burns, etc) and acetone ( flash fires, being overcome by fumes). For both boats that I recarpeted I used a four inch scraper with a relatively sharp edge. Some areas come up easy, some hard. Once the carpet is up then Goof off or some other product should work. Again be careful when using solvents to remove the clue residue as they are often quite flammable.
    Thanks BRADVAN!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by martyd View Post
    Just pull up the carpet and use the goof off to remove the glue. Carpet should pull up pretty easy. That way you can use it for a pattern.. Here is the finished boat. Done this fro a friend.
    Nice looking job!

Very nice !!!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

14. Member
    Dan, I am doing my 2011 Phoenix 721 now. Got all of the compartment lids done and I used Goof Off. Very easy to use. The carpet was easy to remove just take your time so you can use the carpet as a pattern.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperBass View Post
    Dan, I am doing my 2011 Phoenix 721 now. Got all of the compartment lids done and I used Goof Off. Very easy to use. The carpet was easy to remove just take your time so you can use the carpet as a pattern.
    Viperbass - Did you use any specific tools to pull the carpet away from the lids? I assumed using a flat head screwdriver and some elbow grease. If you've figured out a better method please let me know.

16. Member
    I used a wood chisel and a block of wood to start pulling the carpet away from the inside of the lids. Go all the way around,then use the same chisel and start around the outside of the lid. Once that is done the carpet should just peel off, go slow. Spray the top of the lid with Goof Off, let it sit a couple of minutes and scrap off with 4 inch putty knife, then do the sides and inside the same way. Hope that helps ya

17. Member
    The Sentinel Formula 747 Plus 128 oz. Adhesive Remover is a great choice if you are planning on removing flooring adhesives. It can help you easily remove many different flooring adhesives such as sheet vinyl and carpet foam backing, black cutback adhesive and many more.

• Helps to easily remove flooring adhesives
    • Works well at removing black cutback adhesive, indoor and outdoor carpet adhesives, vinyl tile and wood floor adhesives, sheet vinyl and carpet foam backing
    • Low odor formula
    • Biodegradable formula is eco-friendly
    • Can be used with Sentinel 810 (sold separately)
    • For both commercial and residential use

This stuff if the ticket, once you have removed the carpet, just simply spray on let sit for about 10-15 minutes then scrape off. I use a pressure washer, it cuts the prep time in half.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperBass View Post
    I used a wood chisel and a block of wood to start pulling the carpet away from the inside of the lids. Go all the way around,then use the same chisel and start around the outside of the lid. Once that is done the carpet should just peel off, go slow. Spray the top of the lid with Goof Off, let it sit a couple of minutes and scrap off with 4 inch putty knife, then do the sides and inside the same way. Hope that helps ya
    Thanks Viperbass! I’ll give that a try.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 19jag99 View Post
    The Sentinel Formula 747 Plus 128 oz. Adhesive Remover is a great choice if you are planning on removing flooring adhesives. It can help you easily remove many different flooring adhesives such as sheet vinyl and carpet foam backing, black cutback adhesive and many more.

• Helps to easily remove flooring adhesives
    • Works well at removing black cutback adhesive, indoor and outdoor carpet adhesives, vinyl tile and wood floor adhesives, sheet vinyl and carpet foam backing
    • Low odor formula
    • Biodegradable formula is eco-friendly
    • Can be used with Sentinel 810 (sold separately)
    • For both commercial and residential use

This stuff if the ticket, once you have removed the carpet, just simply spray on let sit for about 10-15 minutes then scrape off. I use a pressure washer, it cuts the prep time in half.
    Looks like I can pick some of this at Home Depot at a reasonable price. How much should I need for a 21 ft boat?

20. Member
    1 gallon will do it. Just get you a spray bottle to pour it in, it will go a long way. I would also you acetone for clean up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast