Thread: Buying a House

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Are you guys suggesting he pay $350 for an inspection before even considering making an offer? That makes no sense to me, you usually don't do an inspection until you make an offer, and even then you make it contingent upon a satisfactory home inspection so you can bail if the inspection is bad. Lenders require a home inspection anyways so I guess I don't understand your comments.
    We SUGGEST the buyer get a home inspection, but typically not required unless it is a flip house. We require an appraisal which is not to be confused with a property inspection. I would guess that 95-98% of the homes we finance we don't see the property inspection. Usually causes problems if you get a picky underwriter that requires repairs on little items that show up on an inspection. (doors rubbing, loose knobs, electrical not up to 2017 code, etc.)

Do you have an attorney? If not, hire one. Sign nothing without his approval.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

3. Member
    I am looking at houses here in Maryland. I connected with a real estate agent. Important — Not the listing agent. My agent will represent me by looking and analyzing things so I don’t get a lemon in need of major repairs.

Examples are the conditions of the roof, appliances, water well, septic system, etc. There should be a warranty on these. If there are problems or potential problems, the house purchase price should be reduced. Roofs should last 30 years, appliances, including the water heater, should last 20 years.

4. Member
    Are you working with a Realtor? Is it FSBO?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12