Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

13 Fishing Concept Z...thoughts

I know these reels haven't hit the market yet, but I was curious if anyone has used one or seen someone use one at a trading show or elsewhere. It looks like a really cool concept and I've seen a couple videos where it looks like they really launch a bait, but I would have thought that something this revolutionary would have won them best of show in the reel category at iCast. Instead it went to the new Curado. I don't believe the Concept Z comes out until February and I'd bet they will be sold out at first simply because it is something new. But I would be willing to wait if they are as good as advertised. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on whether you guys think the reel and its polymer bearings are a fad or something other companies will soon be trying to copy? I seem to recall a rod (I don't remember who the manufacturer was) that had no guides since the line ran on the inside of the rod instead. Cool concept, but I only saw them on the bass market for a year or two and they were gone. I just wonder if this new reel will be like that or not.

I'll have a Z as soon as they are available. I have A's and C's so next is a Z. I even emailed 13 today asking when will they be out.

3. Member
    The technology is certainly interesting and im anxious to see if its as good as advertised. A lot of people wont own them because theyre one of the ugliest reels ive ever seen. Im surprised they didnt put their new tech into a more typical looking reel to appeal to the masses. If it is as good as they say youll see a lot of other companies copying it in the near future.
    They aint got hands, set the hook

The rod you mentioned was made by Daiwa. It was a good concept and according to a guy I knew who had one, they were great rods. But, they never caught on and were discontinued after a year or so.

As far as the Concept Z reels...according to a couple threads on BBC, 13 has (or had) poor customer service. To me, service after the sale is as important as the quality of the product.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    I don't think anyone wants to copy this design of having a bushing in place of a bearing. If you want to try out this So Call New Technology then you should check out the Shimano Bass Rise, I think it came out back in 2012 and it's the Shimano Bass Rise. The reel has bushings in the spool/spool tension knob instead of bearings and it cost $55.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    I don't think anyone wants to copy this design of having a bushing in place of a bearing. If you want to try out this So Call New Technology then you should check out the Shimano Bass Rise, I think it came out back in 2012 and it's the Shimano Bass Rise. The reel has bushings in the spool/spool tension knob instead of bearings and it cost $55.
    I saw REEL TESTS video on the Bass Rise, but I think those bushings are different than the Z bushings? had a cool lookin blue color to them.

7. Member
    The Concept Z are now available on a few sites including Amazon. I ordered 3 of them and they will be in Tuesday. Others I know received them earlier this week and love them so far. I personally have never heard anyone say they had bad customer service but some people can't be satisfied if things don't go their way. Also this technology is absolutely nothing like the Shimano's that sold for $55. Good luck on whatever you buy, you will always have negative people on the forums.

I could not find the Concept Z on Amazon.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    I could not find the Concept Z on Amazon.
    It's on there.

10. Member
    They had 4 left after I bought mine so they might have sold out. I just looked and now they aren't there.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    So a Dextero DHT2 tire is the same as a Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire beings they both are tires.

12. Member

13. Member
    Cool concept, but Ive seen alot of concepts die. I'll let the masses try it first, but Im betting its a dud. Ive never seen bushings beat bearings in any application....

The hype alone should net big profits

I really liked thier concept KP, its a great reel.....but never caught on
    "Aint No Grave Gonna Hold My Body Down"

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmojo View Post
    The Concept Z are now available on a few sites including Amazon. I ordered 3 of them and they will be in Tuesday. Others I know received them earlier this week and love them so far. I personally have never heard anyone say they had bad customer service but some people can't be satisfied if things don't go their way. Also this technology is absolutely nothing like the Shimano's that sold for $55. Good luck on whatever you buy, you will always have negative people on the forums.
    Their customer service was terrible. Took months to hear back. This changed recently as they hired a dedicated service manager. I spoke to him on the phone about my issue. He promptly resolved it, I got the part I needed and a nice hat for waiting.
    This resurgence in customer service saved a customer for my part.
    I will buy a Z soon.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

For the saltwater market I can see them being a hit due to less required mainteneance. I'm sure they'd sell more if the initial offering wasn't such a gawdawful color, but I'd bet they'll offer more mundane colors in the future.
    I haven't fished with a 13 reel, just played with one at the store but even with super polymer bushings I don't see myself buying one instead of an offering from Daiwa or Shimano.

Quote Originally Posted by Klinger N Ok View Post
    For the saltwater market I can see them being a hit due to less required mainteneance. I'm sure they'd sell more if the initial offering wasn't such a gawdawful color, but I'd bet they'll offer more mundane colors in the future.
    I haven't fished with a 13 reel, just played with one at the store but even with super polymer bushings I don't see myself buying one instead of an offering from Daiwa or Shimano.
    Orange is my favorite color. I've already ordered a rod and as soon as I can get a 8.1 I'll order one and try it out.

17. Member
    I just ordered one. Should be here Wednesday. I’ll line it up and make some casts in my alley and report back.

18. Member
    I’ve had the reel for about a week now and it is honestly no better or worse than any other $200 reel. It is smooth but casting distance isn’t anything better than a curado. I will still stick with my Lews.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovesomebass View Post
    I’ve had the reel for about a week now and it is honestly no better or worse than any other $200 reel. It is smooth but casting distance isn’t anything better than a curado. I will still stick with my Lews.
    I had already heard the curado k was out casting it at ICAST

20. Member
    I got to cast it several times on the water last week. I will say it casts very far. Further than my MGLs. The thing that would take me a while to get used to is while reeling back it feels like a reel where the drag has not been set. Seemed legit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast