Looking at a boat with a Yamaha 150 Four Stroke...

Guys,

Getting set to go take a look at a boat with a 2005 Yamaha 150 Four Stroke. The motor has 683 hours on it. It has had regular maintenance and averages out to a little under 60 hours a year. I am new to bigger engines, my old 14 foot tin boat has a 30 on it and I haven't really done anything with/to bigger engines. What questions should I ask the owner or shop where he had his maintenance done? I assume since he was able to pull the hours off the motor that it is an EFI motor rather than carbed? Are there any issues that I should be asking about? He is a little high on the price for the rig but if I can get it for the right number I am definitely interested in the boat, the motor hours concern me a bit though. For a motor that is used regularly, what kind of life expectancy have people seen with them?

Thanks,
    TDobb

2. Not Banned
    There was some issues with some of the older motors (150's) and a harmonic balancer. I don't know the specifics but you can Google it. Other than that the F150 is thought to be one of the bulletproof motors. Yearly maintenance like oil changes and lower unit oil is about all they require to my knowledge. I just bought a new rig and put the F150 on it specifically because of the rumored reliability these engines have.

Ask if the balancer has been done and if so when ? A good Yamaha tech can tell if the balancer is noisy by listening to the motor run. Check service and maintenance history if possible. Timing belt , tensioner pulley etc.
    Proud Army Dad

4. Member
    683 hours on a 2005 is good especially a four strike. My 2012 HPDI 175 has over 500 hours.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Have a compression check done at the Yamaha dealer. Also, make sure the records indicate that the timing belt was changed. Other than that, I've heard the engines are virtually bulletproof.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

6. Banned
    You should have the motor inspected by an experienced Yamaha mechanic. A 2005 F150 was the last year before a bunch of modifications were made. They have since had very few changes made, and are the standard of the industry for 150 hp 4 strokes.