Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Question New lip and setback ?

This new lip and more setback some of you are talking about on another thread.....
    The setback is easy enough but can my old lip be sanded ??
    Would It have the same effect on a ProsSport ??
    Or is it more for the BasSport because of where the weight is centered ??
    If so,Is it better for heavy loaded boats like mine??
    Johnny J. is asking about low speed porpoise-- My boat is bad to porpoise -and even worse with some props. What effect would more setback and less lip have on that issue ??

2. BBC SPONSOR
    My boat loves the 10" setback but my pad is still stock.

All new xb21 boats have less lip from the factory now.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    This new lip and more setback some of you are talking about on another thread.....
    The setback is easy enough but can my old lip be sanded ??
    Would It have the same effect on a ProsSport ??
    Or is it more for the BasSport because of where the weight is centered ??
    If so,Is it better for heavy loaded boats like mine??
    Johnny J. is asking about low speed porpoise-- My boat is bad to porpoise -and even worse with some props. What effect would more setback and less lip have on that issue ??
    Johnny M will let you know the answer to that question this week my friend. I'll see what happens at low speeds after I finish the break in. I don't need but about another hour on that if I'm guessing right. I'll check the SC gauge tomorrow.

4. Member
    Darris sanded mine and Craig’s boat. So any of them could be done. I don’t think the setback and lip mod changed the low speed where my boat porpoises. 22 to 25 mph if I remember right. But you can trim down to calm it.

5. Member
    I have the new lip and set back and have never had a porpoise. That's usually to much trim at lower speeds.

6. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    You may want to ask the factory if the 21 prosport has the reduced lip...I seem to remember SCJ talking about that and it is not recommended for that model. Again, I could be wrong. Maybe Steve will see this and comment.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Trim has no effect on this rig with the porpoise... still does it with trim full down.. only way to make it stop once started is hit the throttle.. Worst boat I have ever owned for it and I've had a bunch..

You may want to ask the factory if the 21 prosport has the reduced lip...I seem to remember SCJ talking about that and it is not recommended for that model. Again, I could be wrong. Maybe Steve will see this and comment
    That's why I asked--- Sure need to know before doing something to regret..

8. Member
    I've never seen an Allison with a porposing problem. The 2 XB21's I've had don't at any speed .

How big was the first lip? I know on the early XB2003's it was .030 then changed to .060.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    How big was the first lip? I know on the early XB2003's it was .030 then changed to .060.
    Never heard of an XB2003 with a .030 lip. I know they at one point, I believe around 1997 went from a .060 to a .090 lip.

Quote Originally Posted by TB21 View Post
    I've never seen an Allison with a porposing problem. The 2 XB21's I've had don't at any speed .
    I guess that would depend on what one considers a problem.
    From what Hooken posted on this thread and what Johnny J. posted on another I don't believe I have the only one that porpoises.. I figure most do it.. Some just do it a slower speeds. To me it's a problem when I'm trying to graph an area and once it starts I can only stop it by jumping it back up on plain.. like stated above it starts at different speeds with different props. You can trim it down and it helps but will not make it stop.
    I also feel the difference between a P-sport and a B-sport along with how much weight I carry makes it worse..

12. Member
    Having owned an XB2003 with the lip sanded down, I'm very interested in hearing about reducing the lip on the XB21.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

13. Member
    I can stay stable at 25, at about 23 it will want to porpoise. That's trimmed all the way under with wedges. I can stab it and stop it or drop the speed a little more and let it settle in and just plow. I just bought a 22 bravo which will make that easier, but our boats just don't like running that slow, they are too light.

Johnny Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    Never heard of an XB2003 with a .030 lip. I know they at one point, I believe around 1997 went from a .060 to a .090 lip.
    Your right .060 and .090.

15. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Your right .060 and .090.

16. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I guess that would depend on what one considers a problem.
    From what Hooken posted on this thread and what Johnny J. posted on another I don't believe I have the only one that porpoises.. I figure most do it.. Some just do it a slower speeds. To me it's a problem when I'm trying to graph an area and once it starts I can only stop it by jumping it back up on plain.. like stated above it starts at different speeds with different props. You can trim it down and it helps but will not make it stop.
    I also feel the difference between a P-sport and a B-sport along with how much weight I carry makes it worse..
    Do you have 2* wedges? The first 21 ProSport I set up, I did not add wedges and it wanted to porpoise, after adding the wedges all was good.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    Do you have 2* wedges? The first 21 ProSport I set up, I did not add wedges and it wanted to porpoise, after adding the wedges all was good.
    Mine? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    Have had it both ways.

19. Member
    If I understand correctly the lip on the 2016 and earlier XB21 were .090 they removed .030 on the 2017 boats. As far a porpoise if I am running hard and slow to run ito a spot it will and that’s to be expected. I have never had a boat that didn’t do that. But you cant make mine stop at under 25 mph even tucked all the way under with 2 degree wedges. Is it a problem not to me it’s just the nature of the beast.

20. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    If I understand correctly the lip on the 2016 and earlier XB21 were .090 they removed .030 on the 2017 boats. As far a porpoise if I am running hard and slow to run ito a spot it will and that’s to be expected. I have never had a boat that didn’t do that. But you cant make mine stop at under 25 mph even tucked all the way under with 2 degree wedges. Is it a problem not to me it’s just the nature of the beast.
    Under 25 and you're making a tug boat wake and falling off plane.
    The power poles probably contribute to that on the BasSports, they were not around when it was designed.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast