Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Member
    Every boat and props is different but just to know

I prefer 1/4” below to even for tubing/skiiing
    1/4” above for every day running
    1/2”-3/4” above for top ending

Heavier the load the slower you have to trim it seems to me as the hull needs time to pack air

2. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    To me there was a big improvement in the bow lift by removing part of the lip. Boat feels looser. Not sure I would want it to be looser or more flighty than it is. I didn’t notice much of a speed increase from the lip mod.
    Have you tried raising the plate a little more and using less trim since the lip mod? Watch your water pressure and keep it around 20 @ wot and there won't be any problem with prop blow out.

Quote Originally Posted by atcje View Post
    Mike what's your point?
    I don't own the only Allison that the owner has noticed they porpoise.
    That most; if not all Allison's porpoise (at some given speed),and mine more than others.. I have lived with it for years but always wondered if it could be helped.Something is causing it and so far I have not figured out what. That's one reason for the lip question.
    For me it's fishing 100%,and off shore structure is my bread and butter therefore I do a lot of graphing. The best graphing speed is where this boat wants to porpoise and it can get embarrassing ...I'm beginning to think it's a combination of things --but mostly to much weight and not distributed well with the bulk in the wrong place.
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 12-24-2017 at 08:44 AM.

4. Member
    If your graphing for the day lower the plate to 1/4” below, and make sure you have a gear forward bias.

My skid planer is cut even with back of hull and I added a jackplate secondary skid planer. Not sure if that helps keeping prop hooked up at low speeds but it can’t hurt it
    F0021705-BB76-4D89-9AEB-2EBC2C3CB11E.jpg

5. Member
    I typically run even with the pad and slightly above neutral trim. But when trying to set on the water speed record I have been up to an inch above. I start out at even with the pad and neutral trim let the boat settle in and reach a speed where the water pressure is up around 25+. Pin the throttle then tune both jack and trim so the boat stays at my comfort level of in control. This will usually get me at around 3/4 inch above the pad and 8.2 to 8.4 trim numbers and gets me a best speed to date of 88.4 mph 6170 rpm. Also an overheat alarm if you slow down and don’t drop the plate.
    Last edited by hooken203; 12-24-2017 at 11:35 AM.

6. Member
    New lip/10” or 8” and traditional? My heights are traditional lip 8” setback

Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    If your graphing for the day lower the plate to 1/4” below, and make sure you have a gear forward bias.

My skid planer is cut even with back of hull and I added a jackplate secondary skid planer. Not sure if that helps keeping prop hooked up at low speeds but it can’t hurt it
    I have tried about every combination of j-plate possible to no avail. Also cut my old style planer down 1 3/4" and moved batteries as far forward as possible in rear compartments. It helped holeshot but I can't tell much difference with porpoise. Only thing is I have only ran the boat solo since doing those mods. could be with passenger in front with me it will change.. Another thing I have been doing is trying to keep my tackle which is up front to a minimum -- this could be hurting instead of helping. I talked to one Prosport owner who had moved a battery to the front.. Might be next !!! And I have a foil to also try I figure that should help with hole shot and maybe the porpoise... Just hope it does not affect keeping the nose up in rough water.l

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I have tried about every combination of j-plate possible to no avail. Also cut my old style planer down 1 3/4" and moved batteries as far forward as possible in rear compartments. It helped holeshot but I can't tell much difference with porpoise. Only thing is I have only ran the boat solo since doing those mods. could be with passenger in front with me it will change.. Another thing I have been doing is trying to keep my tackle which is up front to a minimum -- this could be hurting instead of helping. I talked to one Prosport owner who had moved a battery to the front.. Might be next !!! And I have a foil to also try I figure that should help with hole shot and maybe the porpoise... Just hope it does not affect keeping the nose up in rough water.l

For sure move weight forward even some trolling batteries. Remember, the pad is so far up under the boat, the pad is nearly as far forward as the rear seat hole.. weight rear of there severely hurts holeshot and makes it more likely to porpose.

You think I might run a little heavy compared to most.. Good thing it was late in the day with only 1/4 tank fuel, otherwise the rubrail would be under.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is low
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

11. Member
    It's those big hats, any down drafts would add half a G of downforce to a fella. Y'all done got used to them and don't feel it anymore.

Johnny Johnson

Those hats get a lot of comments. especially when we pass someone at high speed ..

13. Member
    I bet so.

Johnny Johnson

14. Member
    Those hats get a lot of comments. especially when we pass someone at high speed ..
    I love my wind protection as well lol

15. Moderator
    I would suggest installing the wedges and relocating one of your batteries to the front right in front of the kick board area towards the passenger side.
    You could test by setting the battery up in that area one day when you're not fishing instead of doing all the work.
    A dealer close to you will have an extra set of engine battery cables laying around that works perfect to run up front. If no one has them, let me know and I'll send you a set if you decide to go that route.

Thanks Lee Hopefully get to spend about a week down at Amistad soon.. Just hard for me NOT to fish while on the water anymore.

17. BBC SPONSOR
    With stock lip and 10" setback I run at 1" above 99% of the time, from holeshot to top end. At WOT @ 1" above I have 22-23 psi and have never set off an alarm when shutting down. I do not run wedges and I do not have a porpoise problem. I ran 99.xx my last time out loaded to fish with a 30 xob .
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456